• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What If: 1078 LMTV Automatic swap to Manual Transmission with divorced transfer case... because I sniff glue.

bradybroussard

Ok. First post ever on SS. So.... I've worked around industrial engines in the oilfield most of my carer. Detroit and Cat for the big engines mostly. I'm deep into 1078 research and I just can't get myself to love the Allison transmission. Maybe because I had one on a 16v71 that caused me pain and sorrow. Anyway...

Cabover trucks had manual before they had automatics. The linkage shouldn't be a problem. Everything else is the problem. if a 3053a with a divorced case could handle the 3116 then maybe but... Ehhh.... I torture what's left of my small brain with stuff like this.

please shoot holes in this idea so ill just run the damn Allison and enjoy the vehicle.

BMB

Ronmar

Just run the dam Allison and enjoy the vehicle:) On the other hand if something could be done to lower the transfer and ease the driveshaft angles, that wouldn’t be such a bad thing...

The 3070 and the 3060 trans it is based on are not such bad creatures with a pretty fair reputation. They sure sold a bunch of them... The torque Multiplication of the Allison torque converter on the low end is also real nice.

I like manuals also, this is only the second automatic I have ever owned. My only peeve with the Allison controller is it always starts in 2nd gear. Now in normal AWD mode Thats OK because 1st is really low. But when you select mode(4WD), at least when I select mode it is usually because I want to crawl over or pull something. I wish mine started in first when in mode, but that is probably just me:)

bradybroussard

Thanks for the input Ronmar

Yep.... I just need to let the idea grow on me. I will never pretend to know more than the pile of engineers that designed the LMTV line of vehicles. I'm sure the Allison was chosen for durability, ease of driving, etc. etc. I know they make a quality product. I just miss driving a manual. I know I could get an M35 if my heart is so fixed on a manual but I've become obsessed with the 1078 because... once again... I like to torture myself. :LOL:

Maybe i need to get an 1078 that's a solid every day driver then pick up a junker to play Doc Frankenstein on. I have a friend with a few Detroits that need rebuilding. a 6-71T would sound absolutely amazing.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just run the dam Allison and enjoy the vehicle:) On the other hand if something could be done to lower the transfer and ease the driveshaft angles, that wouldn’t be such a bad thing...

The 3070 and the 3060 trans it is based on are not such bad creatures with a pretty fair reputation. They sure sold a bunch of them... The torque Multiplication of the Allison torque converter on the low end is also real nice.

I like manuals also, this is only the second automatic I have ever owned. My only peeve with the Allison controller is it always starts in 2nd gear. Now in normal AWD mode Thats OK because 1st is really low. But when you select mode(4WD), at least when I select mode it is usually because I want to crawl over or pull something. I wish mine started in first when in mode, but that is probably just me:)
I remember back in 1993 i got a new ride that had a 8v92 with a allison backing it up and on the first time behind the wheel i took off up the road everything seemed like it was purculating ok till i came to the first red light and WAAAAAMMMM just like a dump truck hit me from behind such a violent shock was the transmossion downshifting into 1st gear before i compleatly came to a stop . Back to the dealer get allison techs on the problem and all they could do is put a chip in the transmission that wouldnt let it downshift to 1st gear ever again you could put it in 1st on the keypad to take off but when you just kept it in D that was thier anwser to the problem and to this day they take off in 2nd unless you requested something differant when specing the trans on a new purchase.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks