• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What info can you get from service tag?

Dukeman

Is there any way to tell what was done to the truck from the service tag on the drivers seat? Mine has a tag dated 1989 but it would be nice to know what was done and where the service was performed. Just trying to find out more about the truck if I can.

Capt.Marion

If it doesn't have the MWO # printed on the tag, it just tells you that it went through some sort of rebuild and not actually what was rebuilt/changed.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
If it is a Modification Work Order (MWO) there should be records of what type mod it was and where it was done. Some were done at local level (3rd Shop) and some were done at Depot Level which could mean the vehicle was shipped to the depot and shipped back to the unit.

steelandcanvas

In some instances, it could be just the MWO (Modification Work Order) that authorized the installation of seat belts. My '71 Deuce has the MWO for this attached to the cab support, the '87 does not, as the belts were factory installed.

3dAngus

If it's yellow, red, green, or purple, and says service tag, and on the seat, it might be for the seat, not the truck. But, like MWMules says, a picture would be nice, because no one really knows if you and I are talking the same kinds of tags, their locations, and intended purpose.
You should give all info written in every block so someone could give an opinion as well.

Dukeman

no, no, its the small triangle shaped tag on the base of the drivers seat by the door, black and silver, I thought it designated some overhaul work. I will get a picture of it this weekend.

jasonjc

Every one i've seen on the seat was for seatbelts installed.

All of the tags I've seen on the seat are for the set belts. A rebuild of any kind will have a much biger tag/plate on the dash. I can't count the number of these trucks I've seen on ebay and the like claiming full rebuilds just because of that little tag on the seat.

Frist 2 pic's are of the seat blet tag, the last one is a overhaul tag.

Attachments

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All of the tags I've seen on the seat are for the set belts. A rebuild of any kind will have a much biger tag/plate on the dash. I can't count the number of these trucks I've seen on ebay and the like claiming full rebuilds just because of that little tag on the seat.

Frist 2 pic's are of the seat blet tag, the last one is a overhaul tag.
Those first two are exactly what I have seen.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A tag that is in plain sight of the seatbelts, telling you seatbelts have been installed(retrofitted). What a great idea.

Does the military also have toilet seat lid lids? (to cover the lid)

Dukeman

yeah, you all are right, its on the cab support, not the seat base. Yes triangular like shown. I have not seen an overhaul tag like that. Thanks for the info.

Hey guys, kinda off the subject, but speaking of tags. The tire air pressure tag says air down to 15lbs for sand. I'm ok doing that on the rear tires, but should I beware of doing it on the front with the split ring. Then when I go to air back up I'm nervous about airing up the front. I just don't know enough about how that split ring and how it seats. Do I need to worry about that when I go to air up again?

Titanium Soldier

I personally wouldnt worry to much about it, i also wouldnt bother going down to 15 psi unless ireally needed to.. But to get rid of all doubt use a clip on air chuck and stand in front of the truck

RIDDLE1

Since we are one the tag subject, there is a truck that was overhauled in 09, at the Red River Army Depot I believe. It is a 900 series5 ton. What all do they do to these trucks?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks