• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What is a 4 Wire 3 Phase Generator?

ETN550

Hi I'm looking at a Viet Nam (or earlier) era military 10 kw diesel generator with a name plate that says it is a 4 wire 3 phase unit. Does this mean only four wires exit from the generator head in a Wye configuration and each of three windings is made common internally to neutral? Reason I ask is because if I was to purchase the unit I would want to reconfigure it to 120 / 240 single phase. Therefore it would have to be reconnectable to do this. I'm not sure it is.

Anyone have experience with this type of generator? It looks like it is a Consolidated Diesel Elecrtic unit made in CT. It runs 1800rpm.

Thanks, Doug

Isaac-1

4 wire 3 phase generators are not reconnectable, it may be any number of 3 phase voltges, wye or delta connected. From that era there is a reasonable chance that it is brush style generator with 4 slip rings, otherwise it may be a brushless unit where the 12 leads are buried in the stator. There is also a reasonable chance this could be a 480 or 600 volt generator.

Ike

Ken_86gt

Based on your description. I would say this is strictly 120/208 3phase and not convertible to any other configuration. You could get at least 2/3 rated output using 2 of the 3 lines and the neutral.

derf

Around 1970 is Vietnam Era. He didn't mean it was in Vietnam, just produced around that time.

BTW I'd run from that one unless you have seen parts available for it. I'm no expert but I haven't seen too many of those around.

ETN550

Okay, thanks for the info. Not being reconnectable makes it much less attractive. The engine is an americanized version of the super reliable Lister Petter SR3. Three cylinder air cooled. 18hp at 1800 rpm. A thread on smokestack said the bellhousing was not an SAE standard which precluded putting another modern gen head on it. My feet are getting cold!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A model number would be helpful.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks