• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What is a fair price

flyxpl

2 per mile would be fair , but may not be the best . Distance would be a factor for sure . A short distance would be higher . Longer may be lower .

Andy1234

I paid approx $1.75/ mile 9 months ago for an M123 hauled from San Diego, CA to St. Louis, MO.

Shop around, call a few freight brokers and have them find a truck with a step-deck trailer that's headed your way. Don't be afraid to tell them that you need a better price.

Andy

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
One way to keep costs down is to find a trailer with extra space available.

The driver (or company) may have already have a paying load and just want to finish out the trailer and earn some extra revenue.

Uship, load boards, brokers and other sources will help.

Since diesel is headed north at an alarming rate you are prob still going to have sticker shock.

bryan70546

boy your sure right about that wreckerman , Im in the same boat my new job might require me to move from la to north dakota , so it looks like i might be selling my deuce , it would cost me way to much to move it up there and i for sure aint driving it that far.

3dAngus

My guess is, with that kind of distance, the only way you can get any kind of affordable price is if you find a couple of SS members that are connected and do this kind of thing to work together to move it your way, bit by bit, where you help out with some of their fuel costs. It would have to be dead towed, and they would have to be moving in this general direction with a load of their own on their truck, but it might be do-a-ble, and I have seen it before.

Otherwise, you could buy two locally for the price of one with the shipping cost of a freight carrier. It will be $thousands.

YTS Deuce

Not sure if I can say this or if it violates some forum rule.
Anyway, I charge $1.75 / loaded mile when delivering deuces myself, I pay a local trucker $2 / mile to have my 5 ton dumpers hauled (too heavy for my trailer).

Shoot me a message if you're needing specifics.

AMGeneral

Last one I quoted for a member came out to about $1.37 a mile for me to move it with my truck,but that was when fuel was still less than $3/gallon.

Same trip now would run about the same price,but less profit on my part.

That was running empty from NC to Winnsboro SC,picking up a M35A3 and delivering it to around Washington DC and return home.

Last edited:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can hire a truck for around $2. For a full size tractor/trailer a deuce is only 1/2 a load. If you play your cards right maybe you can find a truck that's only 1/2 loaded headed your direction. If everything works out right you may get the price down to $1.

With fuel prices going up, trucking is only going to get higher (some say diesel going to $5). There's very little profit in $2 trucking as it is now. One blowout and you've lost money on the trip.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last one I quoted for a member came out to about $1.37 a mile for me to move it with my truck,but that was when fuel was still less than $3/gallon.

Same trip now would run about the same price,but less profit on my part.

That was running empty from NC to Winnsboro SC,picking up a M35A3 and delivering it to around Washington DC and return home.
Was that $1.37 loaded mile or running mile? If that price is loaded mile you quoted somebody one heck of a deal.

AMGeneral

Was that $1.37 loaded mile or running mile? If that price is loaded mile you quoted somebody one heck of a deal.
That was $1.37 a running mile,roughly a 1100 mile round trip,or just over $1500,translates into $3.19 a loaded mile,$2 a loaded mile didn't even cover the fuel cost.

Last edited:

cxcman

Ok but is there a way to do truck to rail to truck and save money. I know it will add time but It should save money or am I wrong?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where do you plan to have one shipped from?

I would not hope for $2/ mile this year. Your gonna be disappointed.

There's a good reason truckers are going broke. Be sure to insure your truck BEFORE a trucker or train hauls it. Especially if your gonna pick the lowest price you can find on the Internet.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks