• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What is it about the M1008/M1028?

91W350

What is it about these trucks that draw so many people to them? I know I would rather drive mine on trips under 200 miles than most vehicles. Even though it is loud and slow, lacks the comfort niceties, I really enjoy driving it. I often would take it over my Cummins Quadcab. Until I found this site, I thought I was an odd one, but there seems to be a lot of us that just enjoy driving/working on these vehicles. Glen

Cucvnut

I think its the simplicity of the truck combined with how its a heavy duty truck. it does not go fast but its tough easy to work on and can haul lots of stuff. I love mine its a great truck.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You know why many people want CUCVs? Because they are military and they can be driven daily. At least that is what drew me to them. When I first got into the hobby, I had a certain dislike for CUCVs because, really, they are nothing more than civilian vehicles painted in military colors (with some minor changes). However, after having owned several deuces, multiple five tons and a 10 ton, I realized it is really cool to be able to drive ANY military truck on a daily basis. For that reason, I bought an M1009 (eventually several M1009s). And, it is for that reason I eventually bought an M1008 and later an M1028A2. I have since become a serious CUCV fan.

mikes47jeep

I don’t have a M1008 yet but I do have an 85 C-10

I've always liked the body style of the 1980's C/K series pickup

And I want to get a M1008 just because I want a diesel in that body style

Oh yeah and it’s military

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have the 86 M1008 and a 91 V2500 Burb with a 6.2. For the most part, same trucks. I jump at the opportunity to drive the M1008 over the burb. Can't explain it! Since the early 90s I've wanted one for the axles and such (4x4 nut you know) but while attending an auction at MCLB Albany, a 686 tan one drove by and the looks and sound just sucked me in. I put off buying one for as long as I could but when Papercu offered me this rust free example, I couldn't say no!

mtjbrown

I know, I drive a ford f-350 powerstroke everyday at work. I would much rather drive my M1031 than the much faster, sir conditioned ford. One thing is these model trucks have always seemed to fit me well seating wise. Plus like the dstang said, they are bada##!!!

91W350

We made a 200 or so mile run through the Flint Hills today. I was hoping for some good snow photos, but it all blew to the creeks, ditches and hedgerows. I stopped by the grocery store on the way home and when I came out, Sir was in the driver's seat. Even he knows a good thing when he sees it! He also must have felt pretty comfortable on those back roads as I caught him dozing off. We did stumble across a bit of history on the old Santa Fe Trail, north of Bur**** Kansas. I had driven by here many times, apparently too fast to look between the trees and see the marker. All that is let is the remains of the foundation, it is still a cool spot in history to visit. Glen

Attachments

91W350

I know, I drive a ford f-350 powerstroke everyday at work. I would much rather drive my M1031 than the much faster, sir conditioned ford. One thing is these model trucks have always seemed to fit me well seating wise. Plus like the dstang said, they are bada##!!!
That is one thing for sure, the steering wheel/seat height/leg room is perfect for me. I am about as comfortable in my M1008 as anything I ever drove. Another part for me is that smooth diesel engine and I love the way it sounds and goes about working. No powerhouse like a Cummins, but she sure is a fine working machine, geared the way it is.

I always have a sense of security as well, I pretty much know what it can do from my previous truck.

DieselBob

Although I haven't owned an CUCV I did have a 80 GMC 2500 pickup. I loved that truck. Stupid simple, didn't even have FM radio, and it just seemed to “fit” me. Tried-and-true SB350, no electronics to go bad except the ignition module inside the distributer, never had a problem with it, and no power anything except the steering and brakes. Only needed basic tools to fix just about anything. I have had a hard time not jumping into the CUCV ranks because of liking the old GMC.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
91W350: Beautiful GSD! I have two myself, and I want to get another shortly. If not for the fact that my older male is very territorial, I would already have a second male! Also, nice looking truck...but a better looking dog! No offense intended!

91W350

Thanks Bruce, he is a Hurricane Dennis victim. He was 2-3 years old in 1995 when we drove to Memphis TN to adopt him. He is hyper protective and territorial. I tell everybody that he is my problem child. He loves kids though, I am thankful for that.

He is a big powerful boy at 105 pounds. He has not done it for a while, but he used to take a couple of lunges and jump over the bedside on my M1008, landing in the bed without touching the outside of the truck. He loves to ride "shotgun." I kind of enjoy having him along. Glen

Attachments

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Beautiful animal, 91W350! My family has had German Shepherds for the last 40 years and I could not even think of another dog to own...no offense to anyone else...but GSD's are incredible. As I said, I own two and will eventually get another.

84cucv1ton

i love the older chevy fullsize. a 86 suburban saved my life... love these old trucks... starting driving a 91 k5 again when the 400 went in the m1009.. miss the m1009. the 91 im in now it like the caddy of blazers

going to swap a 700r4 in and get it back on the road

noel.isaac

i love the older chevy fullsize. a 86 suburban saved my life... love these old trucks... starting driving a 91 k5 again when the 400 went in the m1009.. miss the m1009. the 91 im in now it like the caddy of blazers

going to swap a 700r4 in and get it back on the road
If you can find one cheap enough, try a 4L80E transmission instead. It is basically a 400 with overdrive. I have had too many issues with a 700r4 and would never insult my M1028 or M1009 with one.

I am currently trying to buy back my old 4L80E and Turbo set up off my old 94 Chevy that I rolled last year. I want to put some life into my 1028, and be able to pull my trailer down the road and through the hills. I also need the turbo to get the Bully Dog propane system working right, as it needs vacuum to actuate it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks