• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What is it and why did it smoke.

Ok, so removing that pack, that will put 12 Volts to the glow plugs correct? I wanna make sure I'm understanding before i do it. I just got my glow plug removal tool in to take the swollen plugs out, i bought the AC DELCO plugs to replace them with. Thanks for any help

tbearatkin

That is correct. You can just take the wires off of it and abandon it in place it you like. It wont hurt anything. If you tap off the firewall connection you can probably use the wire that that came off the resistor to connect to your relay.

The way I did required a purchase of a large battery cable and then I had to make the hole a little bigger to get the bolt through it at the battery.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is what the GP relay from CQ for the Civilian blazer looked like and is not the right part for these CUCV's
That part is designed to bolt to the inside of the left fender on the civy vehicles. While it would function correctly, mounting it would be a pain.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What do the ST85s and the other one sell for? I can get NOS ones delivered to the door for $14.05

Red_506

Just an observation from your photo, this doesn't pertain to your problem; however you should make sure you have your battery clamps down much further on the terminals. There is a tool ou can buy that will spread the clamps so you don't destroy them in the process. Just do a quick search for battery clamp spreader.

sheepdog1

has anyone successfully used a Cole Hersee Relay (Part#24063-BX; listed as 24 volt) for their GP relay? Does it need to be listed as 12 volt only? New to this, obviously....

cucvrus

I guess that might matter. Mine is set up in the stock form so it gets 25.7 volts to the top big studs. And I guess the small studs get 12 volts. I never thought about it much. I used what ever relays I found even stock GM ones from a 1979 C10 diesel work. But the snow plow relays work the best and are readily available. S.A.M. Snow plow aftermarket manufacturing No 1306310 replaces Western Plow relay 56131K. Available at nearly every snow plow or farm store. Less the $20. And I will check. But I have 24 volt relays and think I have been using them. I have many relays in 1 bin. Never had any issues unless they were worn out. But thanks if there is a difference I did not se it. I make no claim to fame with electrical items. I only know enough to get me by without any issues. Have a great day.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 652551
Is this a correct GP Relay for an 86 M1008?
The one in your picture is rated at 18-32 volts. (control voltage)

The cucv uses 12 volts to actuate the gp relay.

24059 is the 12 volt unit in the model you posted a picture of. It will work, but its only rated at 80 amps. There are better choices. Read the stickies...

I'm sure many people just stick whatever they have in and try it, but why when new, correct, and better parts are available.

Interesting fact, the GP controller card was designed to work with a specific GP relay (ohms).

Last edited:

tbearatkin

I guess that might matter. Mine is set up in the stock form so it gets 25.7 volts to the top big studs. And I guess the small studs get 12 volts. I never thought about it much. I used what ever relays I found even stock GM ones from a 1979 C10 diesel work. But the snow plow relays work the best and are readily available. S.A.M. Snow plow aftermarket manufacturing No 1306310 replaces Western Plow relay 56131K. Available at nearly every snow plow or farm store. Less the $20. And I will check. But I have 24 volt relays and think I have been using them. I have many relays in 1 bin. Never had any issues unless they were worn out. But thanks if there is a difference I did not se it. I make no claim to fame with electrical items. I only know enough to get me by without any issues. Have a great day.
SO then you must have 24 volt Glow Plugs? The big resistor reduces the volts down to 12v when the key is turned on to feed the Glow plugs. Without it the 12volt stock glow plugs would burn out quickly.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello, Tbear,
Where exactly is the glowplug timer board located, and what does it look like? I'm at a loss...
Thanks,
Sapper
A look in the TMs, provided for free on this site, will answer a lot of questions, including that one.
Reading the old posts will answer a lot more.
You will find the search feature somewhat helpful. At least a direction to go look.

cucvrus

Hello, Tbear,
Where exactly is the glowplug timer board located, and what does it look like? I'm at a loss...
Thanks,
Sapper
Sapper. If you open the drivers door and look up under the dash board on the drivers side near the brake pedal support bracket you will see. A small box about the size of a pack of cigarettes. It originally was attached to the support but could be stuffed up there or wire tied in place. It has a lid on the opposite end of the wires. Snap that lid off and get a small hook or small screwdriver to get the small printed circuit board out. It snaps right of. I think that was the answer you were looking for. I don't think you were looking for directions to the library. Good Luck.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sapper. If you open the drivers door and look up under the dash board on the drivers side near the brake pedal support bracket you will see. A small box about the size of a pack of cigarettes. It originally was attached to the support but could be stuffed up there or wire tied in place. It has a lid on the opposite end of the wires. Snap that lid off and get a small hook or small screwdriver to get the small printed circuit board out. It snaps right of. I think that was the answer you were looking for. I don't think you were looking for directions to the library. Good Luck.
I was trying to show him that instead of not looking up anything on his own to do some homework and actually look at the manual.

I will use every tool/resource available and if I still can't find an answer, THEN I will ask in the forums.

Others simply don't and just ask here when all they had to do was read the manual or actually search for it.
Especially for parts ID

Last edited:

cucvrus

I think a lot of people have backed off on the "Read the TM's" That is a very annoying reply. Maybe the man is in a bind and looking for a quick answer. So I will try and honestly answer the questions that come up here. I helped you out in the past. i could have sent you a length of wire and a few spade connections but I done the right thing. I helped him out. You should do the same. Not everyone has time to sit around and read manuals. I know I never read them. I may reference them. But very seldom do. If I was book smart I would not be able to do half the things I do on a daily basis. So IMHO. If someone asked a question I will give them my experienced NOT 100% documented answer. And for the most part they will be good to go from there. I know some will get real technical and start talking about OHM's and Amps and something else that is over my head. But at that point. I am already lost so I find my own way out. Or I open my wallet and pay someone to do the job for me. It works so nice that way. Win WIN. Have a great day. The circuit card is still under the left side of the dash.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Was wondering how long it would be before that was thrown back.
I was looking for a connector that didn't exist in new form.
You sent me one and I thanked you ecstatically for it.
This was after hours and hours of searching.

That had NOTHING to do with the TMs. I already knew what the part was, where it was and the part number and its function.
Just couldn't locate one to buy.

Knowing What a part is and where to find out what it is, is CUCV 101. At least you would think so.

He wasn't asking about some small or obscure part.
Doesn't take very long to look it up.

It helps no one if they can't look things up on their own and keep posting the same questions over and over that's already been covered dozens of times before. Sometimes just a Few threads away.
If it's an emergency then none of this rant applies.

Im not saying all this specifically about the OP, but in general.

If this is the new normal then I won't bother to look up old threads, do an internet search, search old pictures and read the TMs and do it all over again to make sure I didn't miss anything before posting a question.
Ill just do one more thread about Gen lights or glow plugs.
Not really because I'm not that way.
Im not infallible or always right. I just try to know my machine the best that I can. I'm still learning and hopefully always will.

Ive read all the old threads and it's absolutely amazing how many threads are duplicated.

If you don't look at the TMs, I don't care. You obviously have the skills and experience with these that I can only envy.

Just saying some guys need to read up on their trucks.

My 5 tons still are kicking my a$$.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks