• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What is occasional personal use in WI?

IsaLandr

Tartaned Goði
An HMV may be an auto, truck, trailer or motorcycle of any size and weight but cannot be a tracked vehicle (one that runs on continuous tracks or a combination of wheels and tracks).
Halftracks aren't covered under this law? That seems like a gross oversight, and unfair to halftrack owners. If I had a halftrack, I'd want to drive it at least as much as I drive my M923. What's with the no halftracks restriction?

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Halftracks aren't covered under this law? That seems like a gross oversight, and unfair to halftrack owners. If I had a halftrack, I'd want to drive it at least as much as I drive my M923. What's with the no halftracks restriction?
I guess you need to call Wisconsin DOT to complain it's their rule .

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I guess you need to call Wisconsin DOT to complain it's their rule .
Although I do not have first-hand knowledge of the thought processes that gave birth to the WI Laws, I do know that tracks of any sort, even if fitted with the rubberized "pavement cleats", WILL DESTROY PAVING SURFACES when the tracks are "slid" in any sort of turning maneuver.

It's a simple prohibition of vehicles that will inherently destroy the roadways.

Carry on.

undysworld

It wasn't an oversight at all. This guy's got a bigger problem than just wanting to drive his halftrack.

Vehicles which do not drive entirely on inflated rubber tires were previously prohibited in Wisconsin. (Kansas should feel darn lucky!) It seemed self-defeating to try and change that PLUS try to remove the prohibition against ALL exmilitary vehicles at the same time, because we were already fighting DOT tooth and nail just to get Blazers and Deuces back to normal registration options. Adding halftracks would have only given DOT ammo to kill the bill entirely.

We would have loved to be able to add halftracks to the mix, but it wasn't feasible.

Choose the battle carefully. Go for what matters most. Win what you get into. Live to fight another day. I know, life ain't perfect.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks