• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What is the best glow plug for my 6.2's?

noel.isaac

This weekend I got my manual glow plug controller installed (my thumb and a momentary contact switch), and replaced all the burned out Wellman 070's (all 8 of them) with AC 13G's. It started great the first 3-4 starts since. yesterday morning the first 6 seconds wasn't enough on the first time around as it was near zero, so I did it for another 5-6 seconds. Now I have 8 plugs that need replaced again. This got me thinking about my resistors, and I should have checked to ensure that the 24 to 12v resister is functioning under a load, which I will be doing tonight. Anyway, i had a 1994 6.5 for 10 years before the ice storm of 2008 took her away from me, and I never replaced the glow plugs in her after using BOSCH plugs in her. I am seriously considering spending a bit more for them as they never gave me any problems for 5 years (or more). They came in a set of heads that I ordered from an English fella who ran a shop in Washington state (they advertised on www.thedieselpage.com back then). For the life of me, I can not rememer the name of the business.

Anyway, back on point, has anyone here done an actual study on glow plugs as to which one is the hottest burning, longest burning before burnout and least expanding for our 6.2's? I know 13g's dont last long at all, but I used them because I didn't want to put on new spade receptacles on my harness.

If I had the money, I would do a study on the Delphi HDS306, AC60G, Quick Heat tapered plugs, Bosch, Wellman's, and a few others to determine the most suited one.

I didn't know if anyone had any insight about a similar study that they could share.

The English fella said they tried to get the Bosch plugs to burn out in their tests, and the battery ended up dying instead. i think he said it took all night, and the glow plugs were still good when the battery got charged again.

Thanks guys, Noel

CUCV85

GET RID OF THOSE RESISTORS & DO THE BYPASS unless you feel as though you just have to jump someone or be jumped using the Military slave cable.
You know what, you can use NORMAL jumper cables! Do the Bypass!!!
I do not understand why guys continue to use those resistors!?
YES - Yes the bypass makes the glow plugs draw from the front battery -
Wooo Woo I haven't any issues and I am starting at below zero...
Anyways use Wellman 070 if it is original MILITARY style setup using those resistors on firewall.
The Wellman 050 is strongly recommended IF
the bypass is made AND you change the 7/16" military used spade ends.
To the :arrow:NORMAL 1/4" spade ends for the Glow Plugs.
Heck you can use any 12 volt glow plug you want as long as you
BYPASS those Resistors and change out the female spade connector to 1/4"
THANKS DOGHEAD :-D

Last edited:

noel.isaac

Last night I spent another hundred bucks on 9 AC60g's and installed them. Rather than cut the original terminals off for the differense in terminal size, I made some simple adapters for the 1/4 inch GP terminal that goes to the 3/16 inch female connector. took ten minutes and I had 8 of them on my kitchen table. I also unhooked the resisted lead, and ran a heavy wire to the relay from the front battery so now I am down to 12 volts at the plug, even though they are 10.5 volts and 200 watts.

It was 5 below this morning and after a couple of go rounds ( I am so paranoid of burning up the gp's again, so I set a rule of 5 seconds and no longer) she fired up. I hope they dont burn out, they are so expensive.

Anyway, I have an extra 60G. I am going to buy 1 of every GP I can find and do a test as to which one's actually last longer, dont swell, etc. I am looking for input as to what people want to see in a test as such. Not sure how I am going to administer it yet. any thoughts?

SmokeyDod

You still can use your slave cable to jump or get jumped by another MV. I have three out of five MV that have Manual PB setup and have cut the wire from resistors and my M1028 I drive daily has resistor completely removed. We use them all to jump off when needed which is rare once you get good pr of Group 31 batt. Also use all with the robo impact wrenches which we keep in all of the vehicles. Haven't had any problems at all. If you use manuel PB , I think you shouldn't have resitor hooked up at al because that it what burn't them out to start (24v)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks