• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What is the best modification you have done to your CUCV?

DXTAC

I actually have two. The first was a VERY easy one that kinda blew me away and that was simply replacing the air filter. Go ahead and laugh (pause) - ok feel better?!?! LOL I now realize I should have done this a LOOONG time ago but I was too wrapped up in "other" things on the truck so this little item was neglected. The filter must have been saturated in some liquid because it really didn't look bad but WOW what a power and starting difference it made and it was only $8.00!!

The second was changing to a spin on fuel filter. This also surprised me and delivered an unexpected boost in power for Mongo. I believe the filter was somewhat clogged with crap and the power boost here was once again surprising. And for the skeptics, I live just outside of Chicago and the -10 degree startup was NOT an issue. Mongo started as usual without the heater on the fuel filter. I left him on the driveway instead of in his stall in the garage one night to see if there was a difference is starting and their really wasn't. In fact, as you can see from my avatar pic he survived the storm of 2011. The temp outside that next morning was about 18 degrees and he was nose to the wind all night and started without a hitch!! Also, this mod makes for MUCH easier filter changes.

Please post your favorite mods, big and small, to help inspire myself and others to possibly to the same!!

Thanks,

Barrman

33 x12.50 BFG AT tires!

Spin on fuel filter is probably the next favorite. Civi center console, GEAR seat cover with a camel back and new wiper blades are probably next. Besides of course the mechanical stuff needed to make it run and drive like it should.

Gunnar1071

37 inch tall tires the truck runs better and is happier on the freeway kinda hard to drive 55 in California.
Unless it is a school zone.

It is funny how traffic flows out here, I was in my Chevy box van yesterday with 2 tons of carpet in it and rolling along at 75mph, getting passed like I was walking.

Hopefully soon I will be getting a CUCV from Hundy.:)

Barrman

Forgot one. Finally got all 4 door hinge pin kits with bushings in. Just have to install them now. Having doors that open and close with ease will really be nice.

DokWatson

Overhauled the entire steering system. Crossover steering, new steering box, new 1.5" HD tie rod, new stabilizer, new kingpin springs and bushings. No steering play, no wandering...just solid dependable steering.

Dave Kay

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe this doesn't count 'cause it aint done yet, but my numero-uno mod would be installing the Gear Vendor over/under drive I picked up last fall. Right now I'm just trying to cover all the preventive maintainence stuff and it's not exactly going like gang-busters... (I think it's called in-the-weeds?)

jimmy-90

So far I'd have to say converting to a spin on fuel filter, adding two more 55 watt driving lights to the front bumper since the stock chevy lights are pretty dim compared to modern vehicles and probly the best mod would have to be the flat bed body I built to replace the SECM body. Backing up to things is a breeze now lol.

Grega

I installed a set of tinted factory slider windows on the topper. They were in really good shape and still had the deflector wings. Got them off craigs list for $30. I did paint the aluminum frame black and replaced the wetherstrip. It looked so good that I got a rear tinted window from safelite. This really made the m1009 look nice. Now thinking about getting the door windows tinted.

Sasquatch

Added a radio, nice thing to have in a plow truck!

First thing I did was the Doghead Starter mod, GP resistor bypass and new glowplugs. Then I've been overhauling the plow. But I enjoy the radio the most.

wkbrdngsnw

I've done a lot of things to improve it but the turbo is by far the best on road modification. Much easier to keep up with traffic in the mountains.

jag7720

In order of importance....

New Banks turbo kit, new IP, electric fuel pump, rebuilt tranny, new aluminum radiator, tranny cooler, 20mm ammo can center console, spin-on fuel filter, all new u-joints, net upper and lower ball-joints, WVO system.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks