• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What is the best modification you have done to your CUCV?

CUCVFreek- nice avatar... and id venture to guess that your probably one of the very few, if any, that understand my screenname... same era, similar music genre...
HOGG- love that quote... pretty ironic motto when driving a cucv, esp an M1010 like mine... i cant do much driving fast, but i always look worried !!
as far as mods, havent gotten as much done as i like, and most have been more maintenence than mods, but the new glowplugs, K&N oilfilter, going to full synthetic oil, and installing a magnetic heater on the oilpan has drastically inproved startup and overall running characteristics. although, i admit that i have mixed feelings on the blockheater i put on... it works great, but after the other maintenence i did, i really havent needed it. even tonight, weather.com says its 18deg, but feels like 5deg, and she fired right up. the block heater hasnt been plugged in, and i havent driven it in 3-4 days... but i guess its better to have and not need than need and not have... but lots of plans for future mods... lift, turbo, full camper conversion in box, and winch in front, and maybe in the back too... its all a matter of time and money, but they must not get along very well, because i hardly ever see both of them in the same place at the same time...:-|

coecamo

soon after getting my M1008a1 on the road did my homework swapped in civi instrument panel . Retained original 24 voltmeter diesel fuel gage speedo traded gen1 & 2 lites for small indicator lites. Gained oil presure gage water temp 12 voltmeter. Next was TH700R4 to get decent highway speed. Tilt steering column. Doing a block heater now. Its stupid cold right now in Michigan

jamesonsdad

block heater,fluid changes(of course) and i just got back from ace with three new bolts for the passenger door hinges to replace the ones that are missing..soon a BDS 4" lift and bigger tires and 3.73 gears as i do a lot of highway driving.

captw

mods

AC-60G glow plugs, Hella 28V 70/55W halogen headlamps w/relays, aux. transmission cooler added in circuit w/original trans. cooler, LockRight locking front diff. kit, Warn Premium locking front hubs, greaseable front axle "U" joints, mechanical oil press. and water temp. gauges added, leaving original idiot light switches connected, 4 core radiator installed, added indicator lamp to transfer case cover, convoy lights, hydraulic winch for front, Warn HMMWV winch for rear, upgraded glow plug card transistors, frost plug block heater.

aph1979

In order of importance: Block/oil pan heater (saved my morning commute a dozen times), 12.5K hydraulic winch (saved other people's morning commutes), 33" BFG AT tires and GEAR seat cover.

Dave87

First mod was the switches for the BO lights. Not what I expected but I'll take it.
Second mod 6.5 Turbo. In the process of that at the moment.
Third mod gages. Auto meter Z series

Future mods include
Gear vendors over drive
M12000 winch
Snorkel
Radio not a big rush don't have one in my daily driver ha.
CB
Lift

beetleswamp

60g glow plugs with manual control and pulling the resistor, spin on filter, new tires to stop the death wobble, electric fuel pump, caddy drivers side alternator, and a surfboard rack pad for the tailgate.

All thanks to you guys except for the last one of course.