• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What is the best Trailer for the Goat?

mendo

I want to tow a trailer, I like the 8 wheel look.

What is the best trailer as far as being close to the same size and to be able to tow?

THanks!!

LanceRobson

Hello, mendo

The M105 is to tall, too heavy and too wide. It will all but guarantee damage to the truck in tight turns or when crossing a ditch or starting up a steep driveway from a road. Add to that the 2,700 pound empty weight with no brakes and you can expect jackknifes on level dry roads, let alone in reduced traction driving.

I served in two different leg infantry battalions that used M561s as mortar carriers and we hauled M101 trailers for additional ammo. If the tops are on the goat's carrier and on the trailer they can get into contact when starting up or coming down and abrupt transition such as a steep roadside bank. It gets worse when you go up while turning since the corner of the trailer is closer to the carrier. Use some caution and anticipate the clearance issues and you'll be fine.

Lance

BillIdaho

There was that guy with the real German last name (to which I have forgotten), from southern Cal (I think) that took a Goat rear carrier and made it into a trailer. When it was atached to a Goat, it just looked like an extra long Goat.
A rather neat idea. Not historically correct, but way up there on the coolness chart.

mendo

There was that guy with the real German last name (to which I have forgotten), from southern Cal (I think) that took a Goat rear carrier and made it into a trailer. When it was atached to a Goat, it just looked like an extra long Goat.
A rather neat idea. Not historically correct, but way up there on the coolness chart.

Wow! never thought of that. (wheels in head spinning) could add tongue to another carrier, making it a trailer. would be more space between the trailer carrier and the regular carrier, maybe not too noticable given that the width and general shape would be the same and the tires would be too. Hmmm, ................... (wheels turning again) maybe wouldn't have to be too long of a tongue, have to do some mock ups with a prototype axle and tongue using cardboard for the shape so as not to bend the original carrier.

BillIdaho

I'll find those pictures. Give me a few days.

Now I've darn-near talked myself into it! The only issue would be the rear carrier would still be relatively heavy. If a guy removed the rear steering unit and related linkage, it would help. It would be neat for show, but I think that's about all as far as being practical.

But it sure would be neat.
Hmmmmm.......

mendo

I'll find those pictures. Give me a few days.

Now I've darn-near talked myself into it! The only issue would be the rear carrier would still be relatively heavy. If a guy removed the rear steering unit and related linkage, it would help. It would be neat for show, but I think that's about all as far as being practical.

But it sure would be neat.
Hmmmmm.......
OK, so maybe just to get to where you are going, you know, the easy stuff, then unhook it to roam around. (wheels still spinning in head)
I will keep thinking about this and work up the prototype to see how long the tongue would have to be.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks