• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What is the best way to tow a M35A2

kochevnik

I personally think the SAFEST way to tow a deuce is with a trailer capable of holding it ( like some else said, at least 14,000 lbs) and with at least one axle with an electric brake with a brake controller. The truck should be also rated to pull the load.

Which is a good point. However, one of the advantages of deck loading like Recovery did is that you would be under the 26k CDL limit as the M275A2 weighs in at about 12k and the Deuce at 13k.

I know that 26k number has been argued to death, but in WA state the DMV says that limit is for both commercial and non-commercial drivers - here is the flow chart for WA state for CDL's :

WA State Licensing: Vehicles requiring a CDL

Altho now that I look at it - it talks about the weight RATING not the actual weight of the vehicles. Hmmm.

Last edited:

Westech

CPL
YOU DO NOT lock the steering when when you are towbaring the truck. if you lock the wheel you will HAVE issues. It will track itself straight if both fronts are aired up and you use the proper TOW BAR setup. only time it will track like a PIA is if you are on loose gravel. but then you gotta know how to do it.
I know we have talked about this many many many times. If you say "DON'T EVER LOCK THE STEERING WHEEL" bla bla bla.. you have not towed too many deuce in your time.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/38333-should-i-tow-m109-m35a3.html

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/35931-urgent-help-needed.html

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/35662-how-properly-tow-deuce-2.html

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/18263-tri-deuce-duo-trailer-recovery-long-again.html

Barrman

Gentlemen, we have 2 different arguements going on here.

trailer vs. flat tow

tie off towed M35 steering wheel vs. not tied off

At least 5 people on here have done each and think it is the best way. Since it worked for them, you can't fault their reason for arguing for that option. The original post however ask what should he do? It is kind of like a word question from high school that you know has a trick answer, but can't tell what it is. You can't answer it because we don't have enough information:

How much does he want to spend or not spend?

Does he own a 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck with a gooseneck trailer big enough?

Has he ever driven a M35 before?

Does he own a tow bar?

Does he have a set of lights and a cable to hook the lights up 35 feet away?

How much time can he spend on the recovery?

Does he have somebody who knows what they are doing coming along to help?

Does he know what he is doing?

Anyway, back to the arguements.

I think flat towing M35 to M35 with the towed front tires at at least 60 psi, the tow bar all the way out to the 7th hole, an air hose run to the towed air pack from the towing truck and the cable for the lights run down the passenger side of the towed truck (So if the tires do turn and stay pulling into a tight fuel station or something, it will be easy to open the drivers door, turn them straight and move on down the road.)

I have this opinion because I have about 700 miles flat towing 3 different M35's with 3 other M35s and a M715. I learned to put the front tires up high or they will turn against you. Same with the tow bar length. Make it short and the tires turn. Make it long and they are happy 99% of the time.

Yes, paying somebody else to do all the work is the easiest option, followed by a trailer and then the flat tow as far as the easy scale goes. However, the investment scale is pretty much inverse to that and what a good number of us use to figure out how we are going to do something.

KsM715

NJ is only 290 miles from Japan?:razz: With a little triangulation I bet those of us that dont know can find out where your location really is westfolk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks