• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What Is The Consensus On Deuce Bed Covers? Vinyl or Canvas? And Where Can I Buy One?!

My deuce has bed "bows" or the frame for a bed cover.

I see vinyl covers for sale for about $900, but vinyl??? Will that last??

I dont know where to even find a canvas cover to compare prices to.

Can you direct me?

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!

theeDIZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would think the vinyl will last longer than canvas , I haven't seen any new canvas ones for sale though to compare pricing.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
You do not want canvas unless you are doing an exact retro restoration.

I remember struggling with them back in the 70's and it sucked.

They are very heavy, a pain to install/remove and will rot out in the sun unless you keep them treated with a preservative.

They are also a pain to repair when they tear.

The reason the vinyl ones cost so much is because they are worth it.

You do not want canvas unless you are doing an exact retro restoration.

I remember struggling with them back in the 70's and it sucked.

They are very heavy, a pain to install/remove and will rot out in the sun unless you keep them treated with a preservative.

They are also a pain to repair when they tear.

The reason the vinyl ones cost so much is because they are worth it.
Ahhhh. Thanks for the perspective. That's why no one sells them then.... :) Thank you!

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
It is really a vinyl coated polyester duck design fabric not the cheap PVC tarp stuff you see coming apart going down the highways.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Even the GI vinyl ones will give out if left in the sun for several years - I can post pictures for the non-believers. This is true of both cab tops and cargo covers. Want to use the same ones 10 years from now, keep them out of the sun! Only want them to look nice for at least five years, then break out the 303 Protectant four times a year and give them a good coat. That way they will only pinhole in 10 years, not rip or tear.

gunboy1656

My canvas has been out in the sun for about 8 years now and starting to get small holes in it.

If you want a price for new canvas. New life canvas makes the new ones.

cjcottrill

New canvas with end curtains is about 800.00 to 1200.00. I have both and like canvas for the looks but vinyl is a lot easier to work with and easier to keep tight.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In my opinion the vinyl requires far less maintenance than canvas. However, as stated above both require maintenance if you want them to last.

I have had both.
I went through 2 canvas covers before I switched to Vinyl. Both canvas covers tore themselves apart going down the highway.

Pros of Canvas -
Looks great, original, nostalgic
Used ones can usually be found fairly cheap

Cons of canvas -
Requires constant readjustment to keep tight
Very brittle when old and sun baked if not properly treated
Sweats moisture through cover and into bed (again if old and not properly treated)
Very stinky, leaves a smell on me whenever I touch it
Does not hold up to snow loads
Heavy
Difficult to clean
Difficult to repair

Pros of Vinyl -
Very lightweight
Strong
Repels water very easily
Retains color longer
Handles up to 18 inches of heavy wet snow (know this from experience)
Stays very tight with minimal readjustment required
Super easy to clean
Super easy to repair

Cons of Vinyl -
May look out of place on an older truck
More expensive, even used

FloridaAKM

It doesn't even look like canvas, but more like a heavy duty vinyl that can stand up to years in the sun & the winds @ 50 mph or more. The super rope goes bad first, long before the cover will give you any problems. I still have several tan complete spares in the back of my Deuce, just in case!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks