• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What is the current "Army" oil change interval for the M1009?

Ken_86gt

I have had my New from GL M1009 on the road now for a little over a month and 800 miles and decided that it was time to change the oil. I had been checking to make sure that it was full... When I changed the oil I noticed that someone had written a date on the filter- and it was 7/19/99!?!? Had this oil filter really been on the truck for 10 years? I just can't believe it. I know that they used to do oil analysis for oil changes, but I am sure that they still should have changed the oil and filter on a routine basis. The more I think about it the more that I think that the date is just a mistake...or is it.

Depending on when your M1009 got handed over to DMRO, that could be an accurate date. I've seen dates on radiators for fluid changes in the 95-98 range.

Why would it be inaccurate? It's not like there are many units still actively using these vehicles.

ABN173

Ok speaking from the active duty side at a minimum oil should have been changed at least during annual services. Now with reserves or guard well it depends on the unit, it should not but it does (I did some time in the reserves too and I have seen good and bad units) some may not even train in the field but once or twice a year so it could be that your M1009 was not used very much and they were just going off the mileage. I just bought my current M1008 a few months ago and I changed the oil but not the filter as I was in a rush , but I went out today and bought a couple of NAPA 1061 filters.

Chief_919

If it was placed in a low use program at an ECS or MATES shop, I could see it going that long. It shouldn't have, but it happens.

I have also seen units that are not supposed to have any vehicles "aquire" CUCV's (like a USAR drill sergeant unit I used to share a facility with) and then just drive the crap out of them. The unit had 12 CUCV's, but no mechanics, tools, or maintenance facility- or even an ULLS-G box to track them in or order parts. We did it for them, but they had sister units with no other units in the facility to do that for them that also had trucks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks