• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What is the deal with GL removing data plates?

RDUKW

What is the deal with GL removing data plates? I purchased a drop deck trailer from them and after I got it home I noticed all four rivets drilled and no data plate. Why would these idiots do that? Now I have no specs for scales or vin number.:rant:

RDUKW

It just seems a little suspicious that they had all of the info and vin number for there ad yet no where on the trailer is that info now. Plus the rivets had not been drill very long ago. Besides the fact that this is a standard civilian trailer why would the military remove a plate from that?

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You guys have never been in the Army where the serial # on your hand receipt DIDNT match the one on the piece of equipment.....

RDUKW

I wonder if the Idiots at GL are doing this to try to limit their liability. That way they can say they sold scrap instead of a vehicle that can be licensed in case of a court case.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are saying the data plates were there when you previewed, but gone when you picked it up?

A picture would probably help.

Have you brought this issue up to GL yet?

How can you place the blame?

RDUKW

I did not preview the trailer so I could not tell you if they were there or not. But I do find it weird that they had full specs of the trailer and a vin# but no were on the trailer is that info. The only way I could tell the manufacture was what they listed it as was because there was remains of a warranty sticker.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe someone previewing it, removed it.

Maybe the turn in information had the info.

Too much to guess, to make a claim.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is the deal with GL removing data plates? I purchased a drop deck trailer from them and after I got it home I noticed all four rivets drilled and no data plate. Why would these idiots do that? Now I have no specs for scales or vin number.:rant:
You didn't check the V.I.N. when picking up to make sure you got the trailer that matched your paperwork ?
That would have been the time to bring the issue up with GL.

Edit ; Contact the manufacturer and find out if there are frame numbers , they should also be able to provide you all the specs you need also .

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
GL did not remove the data plates. The turning in unit did. As mentioned all the VIN/USA numbers are on the turn in paperwork and GL just copies the data. The turning in unit turned in the trailer with the VIN number that they wanted to get rid of, for whatever reason. Also when the GL folks type in the NSN information on the turned in units the specs pop up on the screen. That is why GL wants you to verify the VIN data before they issue the SF paperwork, so you catch what they did not bother to check.

GL field folks are clerks not hands on mechanical people. I doubt very much that they have many if any tools at all. Remember all the items GL gets have come through DRMO to GL.

emmado22 is right. Anyone that has spent a few years in the military knows the data plate game.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
EXTRA, LEAGAL Vin and ID data plates are highly sought after by GOOD scrounging SGTS.

hankstrucks

I agree with porky place , when you go into the gl lot it is important not to be distracted. Once you hit the exit gate it is all on you. Remember that when all the paper work is finally in your hand and you finally there to get your stuff It is easy to get a attitude of I just want to get it and get out of here. The gl reps we incountered are so busy and do not care about millitary stuff to touch any thing like data plates or any thing of value in or on the trucks. Some gl reps can be rough but most gl reps are cool and give you plenty of time to check the easy stuff like fluids or leaks and when if needed they give you a jump. We had one gl rep let us take his personal truck to go get diesel fuel & power steering fluid for our recovery of one of our bid winnings. We got the guys coffee to return the favor because he was cool enough to help out . Rare but cool. If you don't know a lot about what your doing fake it because the gl reps get short tempers when you ask to many questions. When we go to get our winnings we keep our eyes open ,ears open & mouth closed with very few questions and that shows respect for everyone on the site. Keep it simple and enjoy the ride.

quickfarms

Since you stated that if is civilian contact the manufacturer or local dealer to asked if the vin is stamped some place and order a replacement tag.

You could have an issue if there is another vin stamped on the trailer.

I have seen several trailers where the different plates do not match.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks