• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

what is the difference between hmmwv wheels

crazzyrman

What are the differences between the 8, 12 & 24 bolt wheels?

I keep hearing people say the 8 bolt are bad & get rid of them, but no reasons why.
Are the lug nut patterns the same on all of them?
Are they the same or different widths?
Can the center bead lock/ run flat inserts from 1 type be used on another?

86m1028

Pretty much what datguyc said.
They are all the same bolt pattern (8 on 6.5) and width.
The 8 bolt wheels aren't as strong as the 12 bolts (more space between the bolts) means they are easier to bend.
The 8 bolt wheels were designed for the bias ply 36's & magnesium runflats.
The 12 & 24 bolts came about with radial 37's rubber runflats & heavier humvees

Last edited:

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think part of the gripe with the older 8 bolt wheels is that most of them have the 36" bias tires. If I bought a truck with these wheels, I'd be scouring auctions and "for sale" listings for radial tires with the newer wheels. There also may be a hub/bolt pattern change in there somewhere too, so watch out for that.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The old 8 bolt rim is not rated for the higher pressure used on the radial tires.

fwiw, this has been discussed/covered in detail before.

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, there are 3 generation/versions of rims.

Humvee AO rims(8 bolt bias tires), Humvee AO1 rims(12 bolt radial), and Humvee AO2 rims(24 bolt radial)...

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, there are 3 generation/versions of rims.

Humvee AO rims(8 bolt bias tires), Humvee AO1 rims(12 bolt radial), and Humvee AO2 rims(24 bolt radial)...
let me muddy the water even further...they are 2 versions of 12 bolt, early and late style, late style can be spotted by the
addition of a lone centering hole, they also have galvanized studs, use the red O-ring and 1 piece run flat.
the "early version of the 12bolt used No centering hole, used 2 piece rubber run flats and had a thicker O-ring.

now onto the 24 bolt rim...2 versions of those as well, even spaced studs and odd spaced studs.
24 bolt even spaced studs IIRC are 3850lbs while the odd spaced is 3450lbs....don't quote me, I don't have the book in front of me, but you get the point. They are for the new heavy armored trucks.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And...the early and late 12 bolt and even spaced 24 bolt wheel uses the same valve stem assembly.
Odd spaced 24 bolt uses a different valve stem.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks