• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What is the max amperage consumption on ECV with lights and A/C on?

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looking to swap alternators. Long story…

Advanced question…

What is the max power consumption on a vehicle with lights and flashers and a/c with fans on, perhaps with aftermarket radio and CB radio?

Will a 24V 100 amp alternator cover the amperage?

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I see no reason why not.

Some really rough numbers:

lights aren't a big draw at 24v, maybe 5 or 6 amps for the headlights if incandescent, and less if LED.
Marker lights maybe a couple amps all together.
AC is mostly the clutch and blower motors. I think my Red Dot has a 20 amp breaker in it? No more than 30 at most.
Radio and CB probably another 5-10 amps.
Transmission is 12V, but it's a computer and some solenoids, so even if it's 10 amps 12V, that's only another 5 of 24V

So even with everything on, I can't imagine you needing more than a 100 amp alternator.

peggrw

Dont forget about the glow plugs, not sure what they draw but it something
The glow plugs draw as much as 120 amps by themselves, but the alternator is not intended to make up for that draw in real time. If everything is working properly the glow plugs are only on for a short period, most of which the alternator is not even running. The alternator replaces that battery draw over the long term. Same with the starter current.

Autonomy_Lost

The glow plugs draw as much as 120 amps by themselves, but the alternator is not intended to make up for that draw in real time. If everything is working properly the glow plugs are only on for a short period, most of which the alternator is not even running. The alternator replaces that battery draw over the long term. Same with the starter current.
After posting that I was thinking the same thing, thanks for clarifying.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks