• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

what is the shelf life of paint?

jasonjc

I've got a bunch of Gillespie paint but I've had for years:unsure: (when was the MVPA convention in Little Rock?). The cans are sealed and when I move them yesterday they seemed to still be liquid. I just was wondering if it is still good or did I waste a bunch of money?

SturmTyger380

I have a friend that is still using up his full leftover cans of automotive paint from the 80's. Uses it to spray various things like yard chairs and the such. He says it still works great. I would think the oil based Gillespie would last better than the modern Acrylic.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
sometimes if you ask real nice a paint store or hardware store (home depot) will put them on a shaker for you when it comes time to use them. I have a few in reserve and about ever 6 months stand them on the other end. I don't know if that helps or not but it makes me check the condition of the cans, like NDT
stated i had a bunch of the 2 part CARC and didn't know it was eating the cans till it oozed out of the boxes!

jasonjc

Thanks every one that's what I needed to know. I got a paint mixer that goes in a drill to mix it up so I should be good on mixing. Now to finish cleaning out the shop to start on some of this stuff. Just wish I had more of the "383" colors. As that is what I need for the stuff I want to start on. May just have to start with the M170 jeep or the fire truck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks