• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What is the size and name of the air fittings on our trucks? (I broke one)

TwistedOaks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
While this will undoubtedly elicit flames of "it only took me 5 seconds to google this"... I've now spent the better part of 5 days looking for the answer. The Haldex site and all of the TM's list them as "air fitting" but never mention the size of thread type. So trying to source them anywhere seems difficult. I broke the threads off in the fitting of the rear emergency glad hand, and need to cap a couple under the dash, and replace some of the copper under the hood.

Thanks for any help.

11051.jpg

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
They are 3/8" compression fittings,Any big truck parts store or good hardware store will have them.Use inserts for plastic air lines.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Search "DOT copper tube air brake fittings".

Hardware store WILL NOT HAVE DOT approved fittings!

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Search "DOT copper tube air brake fittings".

Hardware store WILL NOT HAVE DOT approved fittings!
Correct, if it doesn't have "DOT" stamped on it, if you are caught by a big truck bear, that is a possible 'out of service' offense.

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tear everything out and replace it with DOT reinforced nylon and push-to-connect fittings. Much easier to deal with and you'll be glad you did.
Just my 2cents ;)[thumbzup]
SDC12209.jpg

pjwest03

TwistedOaks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rustystud has a great post on replacing airlines with DOT nylon tubing. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?155917-Replacing-copper-lines-with-DOT-poly-air-hose

Depending on your budget replacing all the fittings can be a bit much. The push to connect stuff is great. They are quite finicky about having the tubing cut very square.

I order things from http://shop.hoseandfittings.com/ when I don't need instant gratification.
Thanks guys! That's exactly what I'm trying to do as I go. I've done a LOT of push connects with my shop air. This is exactly what I'm looking for. What's the name of the thread type? Because I'm thinking it's 1/4" NPT female, (despite the tubing being 3/8). Or are these AN fitting?

pjwest03

Thanks guys! That's exactly what I'm trying to do as I go. I've done a LOT of push connects with my shop air. This is exactly what I'm looking for. What's the name of the thread type? Because I'm thinking it's 1/4" NPT female, (despite the tubing being 3/8). Or are these AN fitting?
Brake tubing is measured by OD and the NPT pipe is measured by ID. The inner diameter of 3/8" brake tubing is around 1/4" so, the fittings will tend to be 1/4" NPT for 3/8" tubing. Your mileage may vary.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
With an air brake truck, some push-to-connect unions (female/female) should be a toolbox necessity. If you damage, rupture or break an air line you'll be back on the road in minutes with just a pocket knife.

images.jpg

images (1).jpg

TwistedOaks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With an air brake truck, some push-to-connect unions (female/female) should be a toolbox necessity. If you damage, rupture or break an air line you'll be back on the road in minutes with just a pocket knife.

View attachment 647579

View attachment 647580
I agree, I actually keep the unions on hand, since they're readily available at NAPA. But my local NAPA is hiring from the bottom end of the gene pool, so when I brought the fittings to them last week, they looked at me with a "OMG WTF" teenager face (despite being in their 40s). Then they recommended I check Lowes. :???:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I agree, I actually keep the unions on hand, since they're readily available at NAPA. But my local NAPA is hiring from the bottom end of the gene pool, so when I brought the fittings to them last week, they looked at me with a "OMG WTF" teenager face (despite being in their 40s). Then they recommended I check Lowes. :???:
We have those Napa people that don't even know what a gladhand is. Or an SCA coolant additive.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

tobyS

I just ordered a 30 pack of those from Fastenal this morning. They listed around 2.75 each, which is crazy cheap compared to everywhere I've seen them.
Note that copper tubing fits nicely inside of them for hard plumbing. And the unions make good transitions from hard to flex. A light coat of Vaseline will help keep the o-ring lubed.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks