• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What is the size of the 5-ton hub nut sockets (both)?

Scrounger

The lock nut is 4 ½” 8 sided. It is the only one that will need a socket. The inner nut has a stud on it that can be tightened with a screwdriver and a hammer. The outer nut locks the lock ring down and has to be very tight. Most heavy truck part stores should carry them.

derby

Don't you have to tourq the inner nut in sequence? 150#loosen then50# .I just made one today 4 7/8" for the inner nut.I wanted to have the pre-load right since I had an axle leak.Correct me if I am wrong! I call it the poor man socket

Scrounger

I just tighten the bearing nut till the wheel can’t turn, rotating the wheel as I’m tightening. Then back off the nut till the wheel turns freely. There is a certain “feel” that just can’t be described. When reinstalling the axle flange bolts make sure to check them for stretch. It can usually be seen as thinning wear the threads start on the bolt. I always change the lock washers and often times change the bolts if they even look a little worn.

dma251

Dave P said:
hope this is not to late for you. my sockets that i use for the 5 ton are 8 sided. 1 is 4 - 15/16" and other is 4 1/2".

I really appreciate it Dave. I had not gotten the right sizes yet. I'm not a huge fan of the hammer and punch method for tightening the inner nut.

Where do you think the best place to get these is?

Don't know where the best place to get these would be. i lucked out and found a set that the military had welded together. they welded them back to back and the wheel wrench works for the handle! so it gets tossed in the tool box and is there if needed where ever the truck goes.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks