• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What is the turbo brand and model #? Think I need a new one or cartridge

Reworked LMTV

Hello!
I have a CAT 3116 290hp engine that needs a turbo cartridge. The vehicle is a Stewart and Stevenson M1088 military tractor truck.

The housing has this stamped on it:
HSM 187
070L-0
F1083
The CAT engine serial number is 3RJ03580
Arrangement #118-9578
I am struggling to find a definite reference number for this unit. Are the turbos the same on the 3126?

Are all of the non-marine 3116's fitted with the same turbo and thus use the same cartridge?

Thanks!

snowtrac nome

you can use the engine serial number and get a new one from cat. they are essentially a knock off BorgWarner / schwitzer badged as a cat. what makes you think you need one,
turbos seldom go bad when they do you will have excessive crank case pressure, or oil running out the exhaust. in theory you can also get it on the intake side also I have seen them lock up and break shafts. I saw a lot of good turbo superchargers needlessly replaced in the army because soldiers didn't know how to diagnose a performance problem.

Reworked LMTV

you can use the engine serial number and get a new one from cat. they are essentially a knock off BorgWarner / schwitzer badged as a cat. what makes you think you need one,
turbos seldom go bad when they do you will have excessive crank case pressure, or oil running out the exhaust. in theory you can also get it on the intake side also I have seen them lock up and break shafts. I saw a lot of good turbo superchargers needlessly replaced in the army because soldiers didn't know how to diagnose a performance problem.
Thanks for responding : ) The reason I think it is bad is when the boost comes on there is a sound like a vacuum cleaner picked up a nail and is grinding it. Engine sounds fine at idle. I could be wrong, but it sounds kind of like the youtube videos I have seen where a turbo went bad and hit the housing. There is an oil leak too. Anyone have any real world experience with aftermarket cat type turbos ?

scottmandu

Are all of the non-marine 3116's fitted with the same turbo and thus use the same cartridge?

No there are differing turbos. The 225hp and 290 hp have different turbos but the 225hp has been supersceeded to the 290hp turbo. I had a custom turbo made up by Majestic turbo in Waco, that can flow enough air to produce about 600hp, although I'm not running that kind of power, spool time and response is much faster. It was cheaper than a Cat reman turbo also.

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No there are differing turbos. The 225hp and 290 hp have different turbos but the 225hp has been supersceeded to the 290hp turbo. I had a custom turbo made up by Majestic turbo in Waco, that can flow enough air to produce about 600hp, although I'm not running that kind of power, spool time and response is much faster. It was cheaper than a Cat reman turbo also.

Any chance you have the info for that? Seems like a great upgrade

snowtrac nome

to the guy with the noisy turbo you can pull the intake hose, and grab the inducer and move it around see if the bushings have come loose if so you need to replace it I too would like info on your replacement turbo especially if I get a hankering to add fuel for more hp.

Reworked LMTV

The M1088 3116 290 hp turbo is made by Schwitzer and is model number 4R8915. CAT no longer makes a replacement cartridge, but you can get a nice new one for only $2137.88! Might be able to find and aftermarket cartridge.

I'm interested in this Majectic too. More details please! : : )

snowtrac nome

as long as Schweitzer's warranty is better than holstets I replaced one on a 4 b last year with in 30 minutes after start up it broke a shaft sitting at an idle. holstet said it failed because of improper pre lube I had to eat it from here on out I will buy my holsted products from overseas at least I can afford a failures at 300 bucks for a cartrage verses 2 grand for an hx30 from holstet. the one chineese one I installed for a customer a couple years ago is still cooking along with no faults.

Reworked LMTV

as long as Schweitzer's warranty is better than holstets I replaced one on a 4 b last year with in 30 minutes after start up it broke a shaft sitting at an idle. holstet said it failed because of improper pre lube I had to eat it from here on out I will buy my holsted products from overseas at least I can afford a failures at 300 bucks for a cartrage verses 2 grand for an hx30 from holstet. the one chineese one I installed for a customer a couple years ago is still cooking along with no faults.
Trying to find a reliable Chinese turbo part can be a gamble. Can you share the name of the manufacturer? Thanks!

snowtrac nome

I don't have it with me I passed on the e-bay info to my customer. what I think sucks is I have replaced 2 holstet turbos with holstet remans and my luck has been better with the china models. I have had real good luck with the cat reman stuff but it is expensive.

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think these trucks would do well with a slightly larger turbo that spools faster, and capable of flowing more air for those the turn the fuel screw. Snowtrac is on to something when he says the governor de fuels early, need to figure out how to delay that. Thing is the 3116 is known for building heat when power is added. Choices are adding more air or water injection to keep EGT under control. The EGT guage I did get has a programmable temp that will trigger a relay if water injection is a route I go. Really all I'm looking for is 290hp, just enough to pull hills a little better.

Reworked LMTV

Can you take some pictures of this Mod and give us more information on the brand etc?

coachgeo

So here is how my turbo sounds. To me it sound different and more whiny. Shaft play and end play were quite minimal when I checked this morning. I saw no blade to housing rubbing...[video]....
Something.... and it sounds like it happens along with turbo, is too shrill sounding. Could it potentially be a small leak that is whistling? Granted it does sound like the shrill of metal scratching metal.

Last edited:

Reworked LMTV

Something.... and it sounds like it happens along with turbo, is too shrill sounding. Could it potentially be a small leak that is whistling? Granted it does sound like the shrill of metal scratching metal.
I'm going to try to smoke the system this week.

snowtrac nome

one would have to wonder if the noise is coming off the exhaust side we have a lot of the new vgt's that make a simmalar sound on engine braking I believe it is from carbon build up. might be worth pulling the exhaust side off and taking a look

coachgeo

one would have to wonder if the noise is coming off the exhaust side we have a lot of the new vgt's that make a simmalar sound on engine braking I believe it is from carbon build up. might be worth pulling the exhaust side off and taking a look
If you remove the exhaust side.... while you are in there use Oven Cleaner to clean the crap out best you can. If you do a general Web search you can find several forums with discussions on this method of cleaning a turbo while still in the vehicle.

expeditionnw

Curious about the two different turbos. How did you come across this info? OWuld make sense why my 225hp truck with a 290hp turbo is so laggy. Time to turn up the fuel!

Also, Im curious to see the flow map on your magestic turbo. Cant wrap my head around a turbo that flows enough air to support 600hp, yet spools faster at stock fuel trim than the original. What is the A/A on it?

So here is how my turbo sounds. To me it sound different and more whiny. Shaft play and end play were quite minimal when I checked this morning. I saw no blade to housing rubbing. :roll:
If theres no shaft play in you turbo, the cartridge is fine. That sounds like an intake air leak though. Check the two green elbows going into your intake. if cab air ride is low, the cab will rub on those elbows making a small hole.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks