• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What is this 14 volt alternator terminal for?

Woodsplinter

I recently discovered there is a terminal on the alternator of my A2 deuce that puts out 14 volts. It is next to the 28 volt terminal that is connected to the starter solenoid.

Does anybody know what it's for and can it be used to supply 12 volts to accessories like CB radio, cell phone charger, etc.?

Thanks!

Alternator.jpg

Woodsplinter

Now that's interesting. I wonder is something has gone bad inside there. I guess I'll be doing some reading tonight.
I don't think anything is wrong- I was clued in to this possibility by a friend. He said he was surfing the net for deuce info and found something (he thought it was Wikipedia), that stated that deuce alternators made after 1980 had dual voltage capability. I was unable to find what he was referring to. I decided to check it out with a meter and sure enough, this terminal puts out 14 volts.

I have never heard any reference to this before so I'm mystified.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
There are dual voltage alternators, originally for HMMWVs in 100A flavor and later on, in 200A and 400A varieties for MRAPs and such but the alternator pictured is the standard M-series 60A 24V unit.

I do not understand why there is 14V at that stud.

I have never seen any piece of military literature (TM, PS magazine, etc.) that referred to post-1980 alternators as being dual voltage.

Keith_J

Probably field voltage off the regulator that goes to the brushes. See what it does when you put a load on the alternator, like turn the high beams on. If it increases, then it is field. I would NOT recommend putting any load on it as it would cause issues on stability of the 28 volt side.

glassk

Now that's interesting. I wonder is something has gone bad inside there. I guess I'll be doing some reading tonight.
Split-Series Field Generators (Fig. 13-17
a. Generator regulation sometimes is accomplished by
means of a split-series field. A generator with this
method of regulation combines third-brush, reversed series
(differential), and cumulative-compound
principles.

TM 9-8000

http://www.liberatedmanuals.com/TM-9-8000.pdf

oddshot

I recently discovered there is a terminal on the alternator of my A2 deuce that puts out 14 volts. It is next to the 28 volt terminal that is connected to the starter solenoid.
It might be useful to identify what alternator you have.

Are there any id tags, labels or manufacturer number stamped into the alternator anywhere?

Woodsplinter

Probably field voltage off the regulator that goes to the brushes. See what it does when you put a load on the alternator, like turn the high beams on. If it increases, then it is field. I would NOT recommend putting any load on it as it would cause issues on stability of the 28 volt side.
I put a load on it and the voltage increased from 14.25 to 14.39 volts.

Woodsplinter

It might be useful to identify what alternator you have.

Are there any id tags, labels or manufacturer number stamped into the alternator anywhere?
It is a Leece-Neville alternator, 60 amp. Couldn't read anything else on the tag but like Clinto said it is the same as on any other deuce I have seen.

Mayapple

Does anybody know what it's for and can it be used to supply 12 volts to accessories like CB radio, cell phone charger, etc.?

Thanks!

View attachment 553785
What voltage does the black plug need to be, and what does it go to? Trying to figure out my alternator swap before I put power to it and destroy anything.

Mayapple

You need to post pics of the wire your referring also if you had a dual voltage you could run 3 batteries I did it and its one of the best upgrades I have done.
uploadfromtaptalk1445093547134.jpgthe black male/female plug wire. Schematics say it goes to starter relay. I'm guessing that's the ignition side of the regulator. The exciter to the regulator if you will.

Mayapple

With the external regulator I wired it to the ign side of the regulator, per the instructions. So, hopefully, it will excite the regulator and control the new alternator through the field wire.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks