• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What is this broken part?

Woodsplinter

Found this today while crawling under my M35A2. It's part of the parking brake assembly. It is pictured in the TM's but it is not identified.
Can anyone tell me what it is, what does it do, is it important, how to replace, etc...?? The parking brake works fine.

Thanks!!

Attachments

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe that would be a spring to keep your parking brake from dragging on the drum when released. Replacing should be pretty straighforward, loosen the bolts holding it on, replace the part, tighten down the bolts. The -24 manual that you can download off this site will have the part #. Download all the TM's, it's free, and saves you from taking a virtual beat-down for not looking up the answer in a TM. ;)

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Commonly called a "mustache" spring. You can get them at the regular places like Saturn, Memphis, Antelope Valley Truck, White Owl, etc. Ask for it by that name and they will know.

Woodsplinter

Thanks guys!!
I have all the TM's and when I looked up the parking brake I found the diagrams and procedures. That part is pictured but i didn't see it mentioned or identified. I'll look deeper now that I know what it is.!

DUECE-COUPE

Looks like it was installed upside down, when installed correctly, it really looks like a mustache with the hump of the spring in the upward position.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I don't know that installing it "up side down" will effect it. My bet is someone driving with the brake on, heated it up and took the temper out of the spring, then it cracked easily.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Buy several, and keep them in your truck. The new one will break in a year or so (at least they do on the M813, and I do not drive around with the parking brake on). Most of the deuces/5-tons I have been a part of recovering had this spring broken.

Cheers

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks