• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What is this fuel tank from?

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got a pretty nice fuel tank, it looks like a deuce tank, but it's not the same size as the one on my A2. My tank is 39.5"long x 15.5" tall x 22" deep. The new one I got is 31" long x 17" tall x 26" deep. They both look the same, just different measurements. The new one also has late 60's or early 70's paint, the same era as my A2. Anybody got a clue what this tank goes to or is it just a different tank for the same trucks?

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
818 has 2 one on each side sounds like that is what it is off of
That could be it. I think I'm gonna fix it up so I can use it as an auxilliary tank, or so I can put my clean WMO in it. It has the pump in it, and it's pretty clean. If the pump works, all it will need is a little rinse just to make sure there is no small grit in it.

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I finally had a chance to take some pics of the tanks, the first two are of the tank I bought, the third is the one on my deuce. The obvious difference besides the dimensions is the location of the pump and fittings. Are there any part numbers that I could look for? C'mon guys, one of ya's gotta know!

DSCN0566.jpgDSCN0568.jpgDSCN0570.jpg

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ah true, that's what it looks like. (Just goes to show how busy I've been, I didn't even look at it that close) So I guess that would mean it would've gone on something with saddle tanks?

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The xm818 I sold had them
After looking at some pics of 818's, I'm thinking that's what it is, a right side tank. Anybody rigged up an aux. tank in the bed of a deuce? How did you plumb it in? That's what I'm thinking of doing. I think I'd mount it in the front center, and put fold up wood slats on top like the bench seats.

TxFireDeuce

After looking at some pics of 818's, I'm thinking that's what it is, a right side tank. Anybody rigged up an aux. tank in the bed of a deuce? How did you plumb it in? That's what I'm thinking of doing. I think I'd mount it in the front center, and put fold up wood slats on top like the bench seats.
That would be cool in the bed

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
DSCN0719.jpg
Okay, so I got some time and took a better look at the tank and started scraping off some of the paint that was flaking. Unfortunately, I found that it had a bad rust spot on the bottom that resulted in a pinhole leak. I determined that it was just the one spot, the rest of the tank other than the paint and some minor surface rust is in good condition. So I took a wire wheel to the spot to clean it off. I think I can repair it using JB Weld and putting a small metal plate over the JB Weld. I might also take a punch to actually open the hole just a hair so the JB Weld flows through just a little and seals it from both sides. Luckily I can hit it with brake cleaner on the inside to clean that side of it. There's no rust, just a bit of grit. I'm thinking more and more of making a removable Aux. tank out of it. I could just put an outlet on the bottom and run a line through the bed down to the tank with a shut off valve. I took a couple of pics of the hole and the plate I'm going to put on. I think I'll round off the corners so it won't have a sharp edge to catch on anything. I'll also have to come up with some kind of a wood or metal pallet to set it on and attach it to the bed so it won't move.

Attachments

scooter01922

I would avoid the JB weld if at all possible, that stuff seems to let go at the most inopportune times. Just clean and purge the tank really well and weld it up. No worries about it having an issue ever again. Looks to be in the same spot one of my deuce tanks leaked. Right where the rails that hold it up sit seem to have rust/vibration issues and eventually cause a leak. Drained it out, washed it out, then purged it with argon and welded that pesky little bugger up. After grinding the weld back smooth and a coat of paint it was good as new.

6x6TRex

Its a 5 ton tank, I have the same tank off of an 814

I'm really leary about welding fuel tanks, a lot of bad things have happened doing that. :shock:
Either purge the tank with argon or fill it completely with water and you shouldn't have a problem welding it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks