• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What is this goo??

Woodsplinter

I've had some red "goo" seeping from between the leafs of the front springs of my deuce since I bought it two years ago. At first I thought it was oil/ grease dripping off the engine but clearly it's not.

Any idea what it is and should I do anything about it. Thanks.

Attachments

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That 925A2 I used to have had this issue... This, along with the fact that the doors made noise and the mirrors were not adjusted correctly is what led me to ultimately scrap the truck.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
It is rust, water, oil & dirt all mixed up. They all do it.
Until you take them apart, sandblast, paint and reassemble. This stops the problem.

IMAG1946.jpg

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
For a while once it's on the road. But something that just sits in a garage....
Obviously the pictured vehicle isn't done, but my '69 Satellite 440/4speed/Dana60 had Hemi springs I had taken apart, blasted and painted and they still looked good 20K miles later.

At some point, all leaf springs will look like this because the inherent nature of a spring is to move and as the leafs slide against one another, they scrape the paint off, then moisture gets in, makes rust on the bare metal and eventually it creeps out.

I think it's also safe to assume that someone who goes to this level is going to take care of the vehicle, i.e. keeping it in a garage, not doing mud bogs with it, etc. This will lengthen the amount of time before you have to touch them up.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks