• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What is this? Not a shop van?

Gunfreak25

Any idea what the heck this thing is? Does not look like a standard van body. Was thinking of swapping it for my cargo bed if the owner of the yard is interested. He is just going to sell it for scrap anyway, he said it's mainly aluminum. The truck it is mounted on is an early gasser too. I think he has since scrapped the truck. Idiot...

Attachments

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That would be the legendary M"69" Mobile Brothel - for R&R Troop Support.....

NOT ! now Seriously....

The stensil on the side "Mobile Repeater" would indicate a Comm Mission for that rig.
I find those two plates or mounts on the front bumper to be interesting....

Last edited:

oldMan99

I'm guessing from the "Mobile Repeater" stencil that it was likely used by civil defense or an enthusiastic HAM operator as a radio relay. If that is indeed the case it is possible that the big brackets on the front bumper had something to do with an antenna tower or some sort of "A" frame to erect a tower.

As to the original military use or name of that rig I have no idea. Of course I would not be at all surprised to learn that it's original use was something totally different than being a mobile repeater.

Just my guess...

gunboy1656

That is a very interesting bed, I am also curious about the attachments on the bumper. I would have to guess it was a civil defense truck.

But I keep getting drawn to the first pic, with the "pillbox" right beside the truck.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ditto on the radio info. It was for a repeater station, to take incoming signals and boost them and transmit them out again. It's not a shop van, looks like the previous owners took the bed off and mounted a S-280 looking shelter directly to the frame.

Katahdin

Did some googling... there was a Motorola Gov't electronics division that operated a microwave antenna test range in your area, it included this tower in Tempe, AZ. Maybe the truck came from there.

54reo

The bed could be civi, but I would look at what appears to be data plates on the bed in pics 5 and 6.

As far as the truck, the data plate seems to indicate a M35 w/w. Do you have a better pic of the data plate, particularly the lower right corner where it mentions REO?

Interesting turn signals on the front...

jumpinford

Looks similar to my old M109. Mine had the standard shop van body, but also had the large bracketry on the front bumper. Mine had a 3 ton AC unit mounted over the cab as well to keep the electronics cool.

I'm gonna see if I can use my digi camera to get the two poloroids I have of the white elephant in a digital format and post em up here

Mine had a form of tunable microwave on loan from the CIA and was used at the Nevada Test Site to transmit a camera feed of the nuclear testing. I had the fortune of getting the truck from the guy who used it on the test site back in the day. I used to joke that I'd never be able to have kids after operating that truck, but I've got 2 kids now, so...

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
WHOA !

I just looked a bit closer at the canted side view pics....

Judging by the space between the back of the fuel tank and the first rear axle, it seems to be an extended frame ! ! ! (note: No Mudflaps hangin' either!)

Also, How much room exists between the back of the cab and front of the box? Looks like there's some extra space there full of "spare parts".

Which make me ask... How long is that BOX???

Pawnshop

I has a padlock on the back, I wonder if it is still full of radio equipment? Judging by the junk piled on top it is likely full of the "good stuff" the scrap yard operator has squirreled away...

Gunfreak25

That would be the legendary M"69" Mobile Brothel - for R&R Troop Support.....

NO ! now Sersiously....

The stensil on the side "Mobile Repeater" would indicate a Comm Mission for that rig.
I find those two plates or mounts on the front bumper to be interesting....
:funny:

Really though, if it looks pretty rust free and is in good shape I am going to ask if he wants to trade. He also has 4 drop side beds. I have no idea what the large pillbox looking thing is. Looks like a NASA telescope. :)

eldgenb

my first impression of the front bumper mounts were possible anchor points for the truck to reduce any instability while set up as a repeater? Don't know for sure just my first guess.

Gunfreak25

Not to kick a dead horse, but can someone confirm if this is indeed an S280 box? If so, I am going to get it and drop it right onto my cargo body. How cool is that? Beats the heck out of the 109 boxes.

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't know that it is. It looks dif from the one that I pushed out of the back of mine.
Mine 280 looks more like an oversized footlocker. Square, edged, w/ corners. It also has skids under it and rings on the upper corners for lifting, and on the lower for pulling.

Think I might have some photos,
10-06-11_ (7).jpg 10-06-11_ (34).jpg