• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What is this outlet under hood in m1008

eme411

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not stock , looks like a bubba 120 volt plug install , you need to trace this , also take a meter and check it for power , does the truck have a block heater and is this somehow wired with that , may also have been some one's idea to run 12 or 24 volt lights or something else off of the trucks system,

ke5eua

Just a wild guess here so don't hold me to it but seeing the battery cables in the vicinity I am guessing the previous guy tied the block heater to that to allow for a battery tender to be hooked up under the hood.

How many wires going in / out the box?

But on the safe side, trace and check with a multimeter.

ChrisG

Ya sorry the pics suck...the cables are just where the battery cables are routed between batteries. The batteries are disconnected right now because iam redoing the front grill/Radiator support and installing new fender inner fender. Havent traced any of it but will be shortly havent test for any type of power either

Sephirothq

That would be a good idea to put a battery charger and a block heater powered off the same cord. In the winter the batteries would be charged and the engine warmed.

the skull

My 2 cents here. While the batteries were unhooked, I would remove
that thing and all wires connected or hooked to it. I have seen
things like this before, and I wouldn't trust anything wired into
that, whatever it is. Do yourself a favor, make that go away.
If you want an outlet for a charger and a block heater under the
hood, wire it up yourself. That looks suspicious to me.

CUCVLOVER

I would either rip that out and put in my own if you like having the option to use it or make sure that its ok to use.
you could take a couple of battery tenders and a block heater and cut the plugs off and wire it into one if you know how or want too.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
For the life of me if it is for a heater or charger I have no idea why they wouldn't use a male end to plug into an extension cord but I have seen a lot stupid before. Take the cover off and see if you can put a work light above it and get us a better picture.

CUCVLOVER

Does your truck have a power inverter? A place where one was? If the PO had one on the truck its possible he put an outlet under the hood for it. I would look behind the seat, under the seat, glove box, under the dash, and under the hood or possibly under the truck. You might also find where a inverter was and put one back on if you want.

Also some pics of the truck would be nice.

Hope this helps ya.

ChrisG

Had a chance to look at where this outlet goes and it seems it is just connected via a wire down the firewall, along the frame and to the bumper where there is a plug in end the opposite of the one under the hood(pronged). I guess they were just using the length of the truck as another extension cord.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks