• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

what is this part in the engine compartment?

iasc399ia

IIMG_20150403_171835.jpgIMG_20150403_171809.jpg have tried looking through the TMs and online and can't seem to locate the name of this part. I looked through LMC and couldn't locate it there either. The part with the tubes running into it.

I was told it was a "power booster". From what I can tell there is no such thing called that. It needs to be replaced. Leaking fluid onto my drivers side floorboard.

Any help is appreciated.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A search in the parts TM for "power booster" found this.

Attachments

iasc399ia

As a new MV owner, I am learning something new about the vehicle everyday. Never heard the term power booster or hydrobooster untell yesterday and today. Born in 1982 and driving newer vehicles, I never had to deal with issues like these before. That's why I always believe in the KISS method.

tim292stro

...So is it hydra or hydro? I use hydroboost...
GM Parts guys tell me it's "hydroboost"

As a new MV owner, I am learning something new about the vehicle everyday. Never heard the term power booster or hydrobooster until yesterday and today. Born in 1982 and driving newer vehicles, I never had to deal with issues like these before. That's why I always believe in the KISS method.
Vacuum boost is most common on gas-powered vehicles, in the US we as a populace are "afraid" of diesel (this seems to be changing though as of late) due to the stigma. Truckers and those towing horses and 5th-wheels know it already, but you get more low-end power with a diesel - however the vacuum derived for vacuum brake boosters comes from the intake manifold of the engine, which uses air flow to control the amount of power generated. On a Diesel, there is no air control as it is a lean burn engine, so fuel control is used to regulate the amount of power generated - thus the intake is essentially at ambient pressure for a naturally aspirated diesel (it's positive for a turbo diesel, so definitely no vacuum). Either a vacuum pump needs to be used (and there is an option for this, using the tach sender hole [where the distributor usually goes in a gasser]), or you can do it the easy way and re-use an existing system by splitting the power steering circuit to give power to the brakes (GM chose this way).

Last edited:

cucvrus

I want a part of this. I will say it is Hydra boost. Hydro means water and there is no water in the brake steering system. But it does work under hydraulic pressure so I vote Hydra-boost. It matters not of what terminology you use. It is the power brake booster on a 1984 K5 Blazer or 1984 K30 pick up truck with a 6.2 379 CI Diesel V8. Don't go to the parts store telling the guy I have a 1986 CUCV M1009. He will look at you like you lost your mind. Keep it simple and get all your parts for the civilian model and everything will work out fine. Use 1984 model every time. And my opinion again. Don't bother putting a used one on. It is not worth the effort. Unless you have it and it is free. Replacing 30 year old used parts with 30 year old used parts is a losing situation in any known to fail parts. Body parts and heavy mechanical parts are a different story. You have to know. If it is prone to failure and the brake boosters are. Go with a rebuilt one. Good Luck I hope everything works out for you.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
GM called it a Hydroboost.

Halxex calls it a Hydroboost. http://epi.hbsna.com/products/dept.asp?dept_id=708

Cardone calls it a Hydroboost.

It's a Hydroboost.

Hydro, definition is liquid (not just water).

hy·dro·dy·nam·ics

(hī′drō-dī-năm′ĭks)n.1. (used with a sing. verb) The branch of science that deals with the dynamics of fluids, especially incompressible fluids, in motion.
2. (used with a pl. verb) The dynamics of fluids in motion.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks