• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What is this part? / What fluid goes here?

HDN

If you're referring to the big box in the picture, that's the transfer case. Somewhat technically it's referred to as a divorced transfer case because it is separated from the transmission and connected via drive shaft. The transfer case on a regular deuce provides a high and low range in addition to the five speeds and reverse speed in the transmission, and also engages the front axle for all-wheel drive.

The transfer case takes some kind of gear oil. I suggest looking up the lubrication order for your truck for oil type and capacity. Using Google to search this forum will show you what other members have used for gear oil in the transfer case.

HDN

One other thing - if you haven't already, I strongly recommend that you download the TMs for your truck from the appropriate TM board on this site. They will show you all the different components necessary for your truck to stop and go. The lubrication order not only goes over oil types and capacities, but also all the truck's grease points and service intervals.

ToddJK

Good evening, newbie question, what is this part called and what do I refill it with? Located behind the transmission.

Thank you for your time!
Yup. Transfer case. I'm pretty sure its SAE 30 weight oil, same goes for the transmission. You can use gear oil, but the manufacturer recommends SAE 30 oil if I'm not mistaken but verify in the TM fkr accuracy. Ever heard of Deuce and Guns or Tactical Repair on YouTube? I'd look up both of them if you haven't, great info there for newbies and those wanting to learn more.

ToddJK

Let us know how that 30 weight oil works out for you.
My bad, it was SAE 40, lol, that's what I use. I was thinking 30 since I had a quart sitting right here in my garage. The transmission shifts real nice, not as sticky going from 1st to 2nd and that has the SAE 30. Transfer case works as it should and I have SAE 40 in it. Running 24 quarts of SAE 30 and 4 quarts of Lucas in the engine. I've put upwards of 7k miles on the deuce since I've had it (daily driver) and I changed all the fluids about a month after buying it, except the engine. However an oil change is due very soon.

Reactions: HDN

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Yes sir! The exact video I found from Deuce and Guns! I really appreciate all the help gents!
80/90 Gear oil especially in hot climate - though I can say that we had trucks from Florida to Virginia and west toward the ends of Kentucky. All of those trucks ran the same gear oil. 80/90 in the manual gearboxes, transfer cases, and axles. Deuces and 5-Tons. Never had a minutes problem with that to lube those gearboxes.

BE SURE to read up like a couple of the other guys suggested.
Lubrication Order will confirm what lube goes where!

ToddJK

80/90 Gear oil especially in hot climate - though I can say that we had trucks from Florida to Virginia and west toward the ends of Kentucky. All of those trucks ran the same gear oil. 80/90 in the manual gearboxes, transfer cases, and axles. Deuces and 5-Tons. Never had a minutes problem with that to lube those gearboxes.

BE SURE to read up like a couple of the other guys suggested.
Lubrication Order will confirm what lube goes where!
Isn't SAE 40 comparable to 90/80 gear oil or am I mistaken? I've heard mechanics say that it is but I'm not a mechanic. I run the SAE 40 in my deuce's transfercase with no issues so far, been almost 7k miles or so. I just made sure whatever I did use was non-detergent.

ToddJK

No.

You may be referring to the sometimes confusing ISO grades typically used in hydraulic oils vs SAE weights. But ISO numbers are higher than SAE, so not sure where your mechanic got SAE 40 is the same as SAE 80/90…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Okay. Makes sense. He was just a mechanic at a local shop talking to me about my truck. Makes me wonder if he was searching for a paycheck if you know what I mean. Good thing I was planning on doing some maintenance since I put it through the bog, I wanna change all the fluids out and grease everything. Thanks for clearing that up, I feel like an idiot now that I said that, lol.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a trend among manufacturers lately to use very light oils in gearboxes to reduce friction and improve fuel economy. For instance my Ford pickup uses ATF in the 5 speed. Maybe this thinking is applicable to 60 year old trucks, who knows.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks