• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What is this stuff??

texas-5-ton

I have bought both of these items sight unseen, (other than the pictures) and would like to know what they are and how much they are worth. The green engine has an Allison automatic and is a 3 cylinder diesel. And I have been told that the tan engine is a generator. Thanks for any info that you can provide on these.
Thanks,
Chad

Attachments

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
The bottom one is a 4kw used on the M577 command tracks. Not sure if they still use them or not. If I remember correctly it only provided 28vdc current.

texas-5-ton

Re: RE: What is this stuff??

medlog said:
The bottom one is a 4kw used on the M577 command tracks. Not sure if they still use them or not. If I remember correctly it only provided 28vdc current.
Could it be used to jump a 5 ton?? Any idea what it would be worth ??

Mike_Pop

RE: Re: RE: What is this stuff??

You might want to post the engine for sale on the Unimog or Pinzgauer boards. If it's small enough, someone will want it. Heck, if I had money, I'd put it in my Mighty Mite! PM me if you need the boards addresses.

sermis

I have a generator like the one in the 2nd pic. I think it will jump most trucks and still run a lot of thing in 24V. It puts out 28V in the 3.5 - 4 KV range.

texas-5-ton

I don't know any particulars about HP on the Diesel. Heck, it has a brand new Allison transmission hooked onto it as well. I will post info after i pick these up and can find out more details.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial

Most likely that is a 3-53 Detroit used to power the Gama Goat. It is a highly sought after engine and yours looks to be a new one or fresh from a depot overhaul. Nice find and I would put it in a pick up truck with a six speed transmission.

texas-5-ton

I have been told that the Detroit IS a Gama Goat engine. I went and picked this thing up today and it is beautiful !! It appears to have never been used. It also has a new allison transmission on it, as well as a power steering pump, alternator and starter, and wiring harness . If anybody is interested in it, please let me know. I will be out of town for a few days so feel free to send a PM and I will get back with you.
Thanks,

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial

Still this is a perfect set up for an experimental hybrid. If I was not still on active duty I would be interested in using this engine to build one.

kinetichotshot

I have two experiment trucks right now and I would be VERY interested in putting that into one of them... What do you want for it?
Sending a PM now...
Laterz,
Gator
>|--|~

LanceRobson

It's been 20 years since I last turned wrenches on or drove a Goat all of which brings back mixed memories.

Goats did not have power steering and a 3-53 would (from memory) have a big ole' valve cover sticking out the top. Also, the layout of the fan and accessories is not right for a Goat 3-53.

Try googling the PN or NSN off the data plate. You might find a "usable on" code that could be further searched to an end item LIN # or it's actual intended use.

The generator is a mModel DC 4.2. It's a 4.2kW, 150 Amp, 28 VDC genset. It has a starter/generator that can be used through the (two prong style) slave cable to either start the generator or provide 28 Volt power.

If you need the TM ,the number is:

TM 5-6115-596-14 Generator Set: Gasoline Engine Driven, 4.2 Kw, 150 AMP, 28 Volt, DC. Model DC 4.2 - Ord/28 (6115-00-857-1397)(20 June 1980)(Including Changes 1-3); 175 pages, 53 illus. [Operator, Organizational, Direct Support and General Support Maintenance Manual]

One place you could buy one is http://www.military-info.com/mphoto/New1m05.htm

I've never done business with them but found them by Google

I've got a copy in the shop if you need some info right away.

We used to use these on M577 Command Post Carriers and kept one on an M151 in a fabricated bracket over the hood for slaving trucks and tracks in the motor pool. It can be stared by pull rope or slave receptacle. It will start from a truck with pretty flat batteries and then charge back the batteries pretty damn quick.

We used them to start M151s through M60A3s and M88A1s.

Quite a few of them were sold out of Chambersburg a few months back. They were all fresh from rebuilt stock and I'm kicking myself in the butt for not buying a few.

I don't know of any current diesel engined 28 VDC sets.

55Cameo

If it is a 3 53 detroit the supercharger could be used on a top fuel motorcycle. :shock: I found a couple on a hard target range in Germany, brought them back to the states (only the superchargers)and a friend is using them on top fuel bikes. Not that I am suggesting canabalizing it for such purposes, but thought it might be interesting.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks