• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

what is this tank ?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like an M60 to me. As far as worth, do you think the DOD will want to sell it?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd want to see the paper trail on that one. Like the other M60 thread, I'd be real surprised if it was privately owned. If it checks out, I'd be surprised to see it sell for less than $100,000.

digitaldust

ok so papers , is it that the dod did not sell tanks ? or what ? i see them everywhere like vfw's
this one is stitting by a old building out side town i'm looking into a pipe tale dream that took me here to the tank

any how are there TM's on this ? and what is the weight ?

sarge_3ad

ok so papers , is it that the dod did not sell tanks ? or what ? i see them everywhere like vfw's
this one is stitting by a old building out side town i'm looking into a pipe tale dream that took me here to the tank

any how are there TM's on this ? and what is the weight ?
Yes there are TM's on them. One set would be for chassis, the other for the turrett and armament part. Wieght is around 65 tons.

digitaldust

looks like dod sold 318 tanks in 1993 starting price recovered to tax payer 51k$
tanks did run not refurbed though. tanks that stalled quit running to user could not keep up ended up lawn weights

this is what i'm told
any how still getting info in it

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The ones you see displayed at VFW halls and town squares are still owned by the DOD. I'd bet that you could count on one hand the number of US M60s owned in the US by private citizens and still have fingers left to count with. Probably be easier to buy one from another country and import it.

KsM715

Sitting on a concrete pad outside some building? My money is on the DOD still owning it. Even if I won the lottery and had cash in hand to buy it I'd make damn sure the paper trail checks out.

Momil

Digitaldust, If it was ever owned by a VFW or was on loan from DOD, forget it unless you have proof they abandoned it. If you know it did not originally start on loan, will be the first here to say this: Go for it!

See what the story is if you feel comfortable, do it. Yes you could loose it if it was not supposed to be sold, then you go back and sue the seller to recover funds. As a rule of thumb, people on here are overly scared of DOD and TACOM. Most of the kick ass "I can't believe it was released" armor that is privately owned was done by people who took a risk and made it happen and told DOD "NO, you cannot have it back as I legally acquried it." The vehicles that are out and safe are safe only because pople stood up and fought for it. This involves cost, time and lawyers, but it sometimes works.

Before anyone decides I do not know what I am talking about, I will say that I am one of the people that has a "handful with fingers left over" rare type US armored vehicle on teh civilian market (I have the 3rd or 4th I know of) and battled with the DOD for over a year on it. Bottomline is if I had listened to everyone tell me it could not be done, I would not still have it and would not have even tried. Just look at it like gambling and don't spend more than you can afford to walk away from!

LanceRobson

The flat front hull plates make it an M60 series tank. The 105mm main gun with thermal shroud and "needle nose" turret make it an M60A3.

To my knowledge, no M60A3s were "given away" to museums. All I know of are on loan. None were "given away" to NG units. Anything on NG property books is still accountable federal property. I think the last US M60A3 was retired from the KSNG in 1997 but they are still being used overseas. Heck, I think the Turks still have a factory doing upgrades to their M60 and M48 series stuff. I think they even still use the M48A5 in reserve formations and the Israelis still use both M48s and M60s, with major upgrades.

Unfortunately Congress decided years ago that "we, the people" would be a problem if we were allowed to buy these so thousands of these, M48s, M109s, M110s, M113s etc have been used for targets, scrap and artificial reefs.

The bumper numbers confuse me. I'm not an expert but I'd read that as the Commander's tank from the 12th Armored Division's Combat Command A. I thought the 12th AD was deactivated in 1945? The 12 with a triangle would be the 12th AD and CCA would be Combat Command A with HQ-6 being the modern designation of the Commander. I don't know if HQ-6 would have had the same meaning in WWII. Any thoughts?

The track pads and road wheels sure seem to be in good shape and the paint, mantlet cover etc look to be in good shape. Demil-ed or not, at least it's not being left to rot.

Lance