• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What is this truck/box

oldMan99

I'm guessing it is at least a 5 ton. (That is why I posted this in the 5 ton thread)

Can anybody tell me what kind of truck it is? (Is it US or foreign?)

And what the official name of the box is and what it is used for?

Length/height of box? Are they available?

Any additional pics or TM numbers appreciated.

Thanks in advance...

Attachments

Nonotagain

I'm guessing it is at least a 5 ton. (That is why I posted this in the 5 ton thread)

Can anybody tell me what kind of truck it is? (Is it US or foreign?)

And what the official name of the box is and what it is used for?

Length/height of box? Are they available?

Any additional pics or TM numbers appreciated.

Thanks in advance...
The first truck is a M1087a1 .

As for the second one, it appears to be the same body type as the body on the M1087, except based on a M925/M928 chassis.

Attachments

jaxsof

I dont believe its a 1087. It has fenders over the rear wheels like it is intended to operate without its box. And the box has no windows. The box appears to be a command or radio shelter in a 20' shipping container (conex). Probably an M1036 and an M944 or MTVR converted to an LHS configuration.

Trango

GEOINT + MV's - two great things that go great together. In my life, the first of those pays for the second.

Thanks for the link!

oldMan99

It seems there are a lot of what appears to be correct answers here!

The first truck is a M1087a1
After reading that included PDF about it, that is one cool truck! I'm guessing they are to new for surplus yet?

Just looked at Gishner Shelters website. The box looks like their GSM-459 shelter box
I have been on their site and somehow never found that shelter. For my RV project that is exactly what I need, the standard version is more or less the equal of the civilian insulated shipping container but it is 2,000 pounds less weight. From the looks/sound of it the ones with expandable sides work more like a modern RV slide than the older folding (manual labor intensive) M109 type expanding sides. If so, then I REALLY want one of them! Any chance of a lowly civilian finding one available?

doghead said:
Digital Topographic Support System (DTSS)
Mr. Doghead, your search foo is strong, very strong. I don't remember where I found the pictures but I know it was not on that page, I never saw it before I hit your link. Thanks for posting that!

You guys are the best! Thanks.

jaxsof

Again, it cant be a 1087, unless somewhere along the line it lost its box, and found this one on the side of the road. And if you've removed the box, well, then its a 1036. May I refer you to FMTV A1 R M1087 A1 - BAE Systems , read the paragraph "construction" I agree, Doghead is correct, but that aint the box Stewart and Stevens put on a 1087

Nice Box though

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks