• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What is this used for?

RangerBob

From Jane's...
DS2, ABC-M11 portable decontaminating apparatus (United States) - Jane's Nuclear, Biological And Chemical Defence

DS2, ABC-M11 portable decontaminating apparatus (United States), Decontamination

Description
The DS2 (Decontamination Solution), ABC-M11 portable decontaminating apparatus is carried on a rack on nearly all US-produced military vehicles and is intended for the decontamination of vehicles or crew-served weapons. Normally, the equipment is issued with the nitrogen pressure cartridge already filled and in place, but the container has to be filled with DS2 decontaminating agent before the equipment is ready for use. When used, the handle safety-pin seal wire is removed, and the handle is lifted to puncture the pressure can. A thumb lever then controls the spray, which has an optimum range of about 2 m. The equipment will cover approximately 42 m2.The standard M11 has a filled volume of 1.26 litres. Also available are the M11 Stretch version, with a filled volume of 1.5 litres, and the M11 Super Stretch version, holding 2.5 litres. At present only the M11 and M11 Super Stretch versions and listed as available.Decontaminating Solution 2 (DS2) is flammable, highly corrosive and irritating to the skin. DS2 is 70 per cent diethylenetriamine, 28 per cent ethylene glycol monomethyl ether and 2 per cent sodium hydroxide.Due to the toxic, corrosive and flammability hazards of the DS2 decontaminant, the M11 and M13 decontaminating apparatuses are likely to be replaced with the M100 Sorbent Decontamination System (SDS). The M100 SDS is both non-toxic and non-corrosive. For more information on the M100 SDS please see the relevant entry in this section.Also available is the Model M11 A/G dry sorbent dispenser.
The one in WARWAGS M1028...

Attachments

Last edited:

3dAngus

OK, I see now. It is a gas filled cannister mount. Mine is different. Some kind of kit.

I really appreciate you going all out and educating me on this RangerBob. Good to know.

dougco1

Drivers side rear fender/wheel hump next to seat back. You should find 2-3 holes for the bracket if yours was fitted with one.

MILrestorer

What about the truck version of the CUCV M1008,M1028 ect..? Chemical detector bracket and alarm holes are on the passenger floor but i havn't found the 3 holes for a DS2 decon bottle.

Drivers side rear fender/wheel hump next to seat back. You should find 2-3 holes for the bracket if yours was fitted with one.

DmentdDan

What about the truck version of the CUCV M1008,M1028 ect..? Chemical detector bracket and alarm holes are on the passenger floor but i havn't found the 3 holes for a DS2 decon bottle.
Sorry, I know this is an old thread but I just got an m1008 (GSA says it was but the plate on the door says 1030 even though it has a normal bed on it with four antenna mounts on it and a slave receptacle on the passenger interior side of the bed) but anyway that bottle mount is behind driver side of the bench in my truck.

cucvrus

The door should have a DOT sticker on it. If not look at the VIN on the drivers B pillar. What is the NSN # and what is the GVWR? Does it have a NP205 transfer case? Cast Steel and a straight shifter. I think the door was just changed if it has an NP208 aluminum transfer case. Report back. Happy Holidays and Be Safe.

DmentdDan

The door should have a DOT sticker on it. If not look at the VIN on the drivers B pillar. What is the NSN # and what is the GVWR? Does it have a NP205 transfer case? Cast Steel and a straight shifter. I think the door was just changed if it has an NP208 aluminum transfer case. Report back. Happy Holidays and Be Safe.
Thanks, NSN says 2320-01-123-2671 Looking at the bed I can see where the radio rack mounts were so I am pretty sure you are correct. Mine was a radio truck and the door got switched out at some point. Thanks for the help for this newb to the Mil vehicle world.

Oh, and so I am not hijacking this thread I can post a pic of the decomtamination bottle mount if anyone wants to see where it is in my (now confirmed) M1008A1.

MILrestorer

Oh, and so I am not hijacking this thread I can post a pic of the decomtamination bottle mount if anyone wants to see where it is in my (now confirmed) M1008A1.
[/QUOTE]

Im interested in seeing where the decontamination bottle was mounted. I havn't been able to confirm any standardized location yet. My M1008 came from GSA as well.

DmentdDan

Im interested in seeing where the decontamination bottle was mounted. I havn't been able to confirm any standardized location yet. My M1008 came from GSA as well.
[/QUOTE]
Here you go. The decontamination bottle was mounted on the back wall.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks