• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What is this?

DatGuyC

Your picture isn't loading for me but I'm gonna guess its the bell housing drain. If its leaking trans fluid its probably the torque converter or your transmission input seal. You would have to pull the trans to see.

Wire Fox

DatGuyC is right on the money. Image loaded for me. It is the torque converter shield drain port. If you're 100% that it's ATF then DatGuyC is again right on both counts: your torque converter is leaking or the transmission input seal is leaking. Both require the transmission to be dropped from the HMMWV and to inspect the components. If it's the torque converter, then it can easily be replaced, the transmission reinstalled, and go right on your way. If it's the input seal, I'm fairly certain that the transmission will have to be disassembled in order to replace that seal, which isn't for the faint of heart, but could be done with the right tools, time, clean environment, and patience....or money. It's an ordinary TH400/3L80, so every transmission shop in the world should be able to repair it.

Duster06

I just changed my transmission fluid and the leak is dripping very clean, red fluid. To me that means it'd be the transmission seal and not the torque converter. Is that a fair assumption?

How big of a deal is this? Could I just accept a fluid leak and continue driving it without doing additional damage or should I deal with this asap? Any guesses on how much $$ we're looking at? Might it be worth putting in a 4-speed transmission if we already have to drop it?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
You can try to use lucas stop leak or another type. Could be the torque converter seal or the whole front pump.

Or the transmission could be overfilled cause too much pressure on the seal

They arent bad. Just drop the transfer case and drop the transmission back.

I think you need to read the TM for the HMMWVs as you don't know how to identify an engine that is in your truck from a previous post. To know different parts on your truck.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

kapkanimd

did you drop the pan and change the filter? you may just have a leak at the pan gasket. hard to tell from the picture. but when I changed my filter the first time I ended up with a leak so had to do it all again.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Until you're comfortable doing in depth work on it, I suggest just keeping a close eye on it and topping it off as necessary.

However, if it wasn't leaking before you changed the fluid, it's likely something you did as noted by kapkan...

Duster06

It's always been leaking. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction guys. I'll keep an eye on it and put it down on my priority list as a non critical fix for right now

gcbennet

I found when I converted my tranny to synthetic it started leaking where it didn't before, especially through the modulator O-ring. From what I've heard this is a common occurrence with synthetics.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks