• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What is this????

jds15151

6 wheeled version of the MRAP. Mine Resistant Ambush Protected vehicle. Fielded in response to the IED problem in Iraq. Different versions produced by several manufacturers. This one is probably a BAE Systems variant.

Chief1900

It looks like the military's new "Buffalo". The 23-ton Buffalo is the most recent piece of equipment Operation Iraqi Freedom solders have to defeat improvised explosive devices. It is a heavily-armored vehicle designed for route clearance, giving patrols a closer look at suspected improvised explosive devices.

dm22630

Re: RE: What is this????

jds15151 said:
6 wheeled version of the MRAP. Mine Resistant Ambush Protected vehicle. Fielded in response to the IED problem in Iraq. Different versions produced by several manufacturers. This one is probably a BAE Systems variant.
I cant wait until these are rolling through GL @ $1000/each! hahaha :mrgreen:

Elwenil

It appears to be a version of the 6x6 Force Protection Cougar but is missing the spare tire (the mount can be seen) which would probably put it over width.

EDIT: On closer inspection, I have found other images that share a lot of the characteristics of the vehicle in the post that seem to point to the BAE Systems RG-33 vehicles but there are a few points that make the ID difficult. So many of the MRAP vehicles share identical components.

It's important to understand that the term "MRAP" applies to many, many different vehicles. It is a designation of a vehicle type, not a specific vehicle. Generally they are all wheeled vehicles, with some sort of V'd hull to disperse the force of a mine or IED. The majority are EOD type vehicles but more and more infantry based vehicles are coming online such as the BAE Systems RG-33 vehicles, International's Maxxpro vehicles, and a few others designed to replace the ailing HMMWV platform that has been pushed beyond it's design limits in both armor capacity and mission.

Here's a link with a lot of pics of many of the MRAP vehicles:
http://www.dallashotrodparts.com/mrap.html

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: What is this????

Armored vehicles don't get surplussed out, except as scrap. Only way you'll get one is:

1. You start your own museum.
2. You enlist, and get to drive one (but you can't keep it).
3. Build your own, one piece at a time, like Johnny Cash.
4. The surplus system gets REAL lax in the future (fat chance).
5. Civil War 2 starts, and you, ahem, "acquire" one, the violent way.

or my favorite...

6. Get a LOT of tan Legos, and start putting them together! :D

ArmyGuRu

RE: Re: RE: What is this????

jd22630:

That is a RG-33L (CAT II) model of a BAE Systems MRAP.

jds15151:

That one is a variant of the ILAV (Iraq Light Armored Vehicle) used to train U.S. Forces before going to Iraq. The design is based off the Cougar MRAP by (FPI) Force Protection International

I work for BAE Systems as a Instructor here in Iraq. If anyone would like more pictures of the RG-33L, I have plenty, just PM me. I even have pictures of the HAGA ( Heavy Armored Ground Ambulance) which is based on the RG-33 design. I also have pictures of the M1224 MaxPro MRAP by International.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks