• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What is this?

govt

Thanks! Actually thats a good idea. I might spray paint the word bomb on it to see what kind of reaction I get when I show someone the engine.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
the reaction mite be jail, some people dont take bomb as a joke

stumps

There were several cold start options to the deuce: Nothing, electric manifold air heater, arctic fuel burning water/block heater, and ether are the usual culprits. The electric manifold heater is the least effective, followed by ether and the arctic fuel burning water/block heaters. Ether can be hazardous to your engine's life, if it is used wrong, as it fires instantly and violently when the compression temperature gets high enough. The arctic fuel burning water heaters take up space, and take a fair bit of time to warm up a frozen engine.

A heated garage is probably the best cold weather starting option ;-)

-Chuck

govt

Hey Stumps, the book that came with my truck states there is also a Swingfire heater. It that one of the options you mentioned? Thanks for the detailed explanation.

jollyroger

There were several cold start options to the deuce: Nothing, electric manifold air heater, arctic fuel burning water/block heater, and ether are the usual culprits. The electric manifold heater is the least effective, followed by ether and the arctic fuel burning water/block heaters. Ether can be hazardous to your engine's life, if it is used wrong, as it fires instantly and violently when the compression temperature gets high enough. The arctic fuel burning water heaters take up space, and take a fair bit of time to warm up a frozen engine.

A heated garage is probably the best cold weather starting option ;-)

-Chuck
I agree with the heated shop option is best. I have been contemplating a lower radiator hose mounted heater that plugs into the wall for mine.

WyoDeuce

Does anyone use the ether setup? My new deuce has it but the cylinder is empty. I often spend the night on the mountain snowmobiling leaving me with a frozen truck in the parking lot the next day. There is no power available so I am stuck starting the hard way. I would like my ether setup to work but if they are a pain I can allways just use a can into the air cleaner.

stumps

Hey Stumps, the book that came with my truck states there is also a Swingfire heater. It that one of the options you mentioned? Thanks for the detailed explanation.
The swingfire is a big thing that burns diesel, kerosene, or gasoline, as I recall. It can heat both coolant water, and ducted air. Typically, in arctic conditions, it would be set up to heat the engine's coolant water, the rear cargo area of the truck, and the cab. Because it is bulky, and burned fuel, it would typically be put in the cargo area of the truck, and needed a flue pipe to exhaust the fumes, and flexible ducts to pipe the heat to the cab..

I believe that the swing fire was also used for tent heating. I think it also needed 24V to run a fan, and the fuel pump.

I never had much interest in one, so I only read the TM briefly... others can better correct any misstatements I may have made.

-Chuck

stumps

I agree with the heated shop option is best. I have been contemplating a lower radiator hose mounted heater that plugs into the wall for mine.
Someone on this list is offering a coolant heater that screws into the block where one of the pipe plugs on the left side of the engine went. That is probably a good way to go.

A search for block heater should bring results.

-Chuck

stumps

Does anyone use the ether setup? My new deuce has it but the cylinder is empty. I often spend the night on the mountain snowmobiling leaving me with a frozen truck in the parking lot the next day. There is no power available so I am stuck starting the hard way. I would like my ether setup to work but if they are a pain I can always just use a can into the air cleaner.
I am not sure how available the red pressurized cans of ether are. The stock setup is a little bit fancy, as it only delivers a preset charge of ether to the air cleaner. When the switch is flipped, a receiver is filled, and when it is released, the ether goes to the a port in the side of the air cleaner casting.

-Chuck

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
northern tool and equipment sells kats magnetic block heaters for around 50 bucks stick it to oilpan or water jacket and plug in to 110 volt they work good on diesel tanks also to warm fuel fairly cheap and easy to use the either bottles are available at most parts stores

badgmc56

Don't forget the the right cold cranking amp batterys that are up to par. To many times cold starting problems are mistaken for lack of heating the block or fuel. That is very important but the correct cranking speed must be obtained to fire a diesel also. Make sure in cold weather the batterys are good to go and if the manifold heater is working properly you should have no problems. Block heaters are a great option but sometimes electricity is not available.

Crash_AF

Any big equipment seller or big truck dealer should be able to order the ether can, if not have them on the shelf. They are a common item.

Just make sure you use common sense with it and don't overdo it.

Later,
Joe

govt

How long does the ether can last and should I expect the can in my truck to be empty? I just picked my truck up from GL.