• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What is wrong today...

3ID ARMY BRAT

It has been about 60 days since the last time I drove my 1971 M35A2 w/w. Right now it just sits the in the driveway. She needs more than just some work. She needs new wheel cylinders, break lines, axle overhaul kit for all three axles, and a complete fuel system overhaul as well.

I made the big mistake of running used motor oil through the truck without filtering it, and now I can only drive my truck about 400 yards before it wants to shut down. So as you all can see, I have made some big rookie mistakes. Unfortunately it's probably gonna be awhile before I get to drive the old girl again. Anyways, the reason I started this thread was to see if anyone else was having issues with their vehicles? Just wanted to see if I was the only one with MV problems, and maybe get some helpful advice along the way.

DeucesWild11

Well when I first bought mine this past Nov it sat for a while because I had a few bad brake lines, then had to re-build the air pack and then the M/C.. So it happens, now I have two ripped CV boots in the front which I will replace tomorrow.

Dude really WMO without filtering it first? Now you got a big mess to clean up. I would clean out the whole tank, flush it and replace all the fuel fitters, hopefully then you will be OK. I am going to use WMO but I got a whole bunch of filters it will be going through first, from 400 - 75 Mic bucket filters down to 15-10 mic water separator filters then finally through a gravity fed 5 mic sock filter, I will feel comfortable after that.. It won't be a fast filtering system but I am in no rush..

I would start with your brakes first since she's not going anywhere anyway, because then once you have your fuel taken care of you can climb in and be on your way!

Best of luck getting her back out on the road!

Danl

Danl M915A1

Doug You have been here on SS for 7 months in those 7 months you spent little time on the site, you have to come to the site every day befor you go to sleep and read what Guys are doing to ther Riggs and you will lean the do's and the don't you will find out were to get the parts you need to keep your truck running you will be able to buy use good parts cheap, you have to lean to use the TM section, you need the TM now to get you out of this mess you made of your truck, don't get up set and get ridd of the truck because its a lot of fun when you get into it and do it right and have fun

robert c neth

Banned
when you buy an older vehicle there will always be problems .take them one at a time and fix them if you dont they will bury you and you will not like your truck.learning all you can about the truck will make life much easier.

barefootin

Honestly I think I have these issues with every vehicle I buy.... I tend to purchase vehicles very cheap because of previous owners neglect, sort out the issues, and enjoy them for what they are or in many instances sold them for a profit.... ANY vehicle without proper PM will end up in a similar state of disrepair (I even bought a 3 year old car once in a state of serious neglect). You have a choice. Tackle the issues one at a time starting with the safety issues (brakes in your case), move on to the other known issues, and finally you need to perform the proper level of PM on the rest of the truck. If this seems unrealistic, then sell it (at most likely a loss) to someone like me or many others that will love them for what they are. I hope your choice however is to put the time into it, you will not be disappointed in the end result.....

Last edited:

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
dont worry we all have problems with our trucks. most of them are small.. but many small problems tend to seam like there is no end.. make a list of all the things you need to fix. then start on getting them fixed one by one. i would start on the brakes too. do one wheel at a time.. if you get tired of doing them stop of a bit and go on to another area that needs fixing up. its best not to drive it till its mostly done and safe to get it out on the road. you will love doing all the work once your finished. and yes it is alot of fun to drive a good running truck :beer:

3ID ARMY BRAT

Selling the truck is not an option, I just miss driving old girl . I have replaced one of the wheel cylinders so far. I have to wait for the rest to come in from NAPA. I also have taken the full tank off for cleaning. So right now it just a little bit at time. Well an do to the fact that not all my money can got to the truck with me have my first child on the way. But I want my son or daughter to have as much fun with the truck as i did.

zout

PM sent Danl.

Its just a cleaner as you can see by my calculations.

Most folks know here it works - not my fault the chit turns out red like cherries.

I remember years ago there was alcohol in radiator coolant and the bums use to drink it.

Attachments

Danl

Danl M915A1

Thats a good deal Wish i lived closer My friend Glenn and I tear into these things because we like to , and the best time is when somebody is buying the parts beside me Glenn don't drink So i allways drink his bear, And if we came to Pa to help we would have to Bring Elmo with us to LOL