• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What items do you carry in your truck?

Finnegan1008

Looking to put together a “possibles kit” for my truck to cover myself if I get stuck on the side of the road.

What tools / parts to carry onboard to keep your truck going out in the field?

How do you keep these things stowed nice and tidy in the truck?

The scope of this kit is normal road use and some fire roads. Not hard core off-roading.

If this has been covered already please point me in the right direction, I couldn’t figure out a great way to search this topic.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Looking to put together a “possibles kit” for my truck to cover myself if I get stuck on the side of the road.

What tools / parts to carry onboard to keep your truck going out in the field?

How do you keep these things stowed nice and tidy in the truck?

The scope of this kit is normal road use and some fire roads. Not hard core off-roading.

If this has been covered already please point me in the right direction, I couldn’t figure out a great way to search this topic.
So, I found a couple of threads talking about "Tool Kits" and "Spares" that you might want to read over. Both of the ones I found are bigger trucks - but the idea is the same. Getting any kind of list will give you a good starting point...

Obviously a well stocked toolbox and some sort of road flares and lighting if something bad happens at night. Welcome to the Outfit!

ToddJK

I think it all just depends on how much you really want to plan for and what size of kit you want to build. First things first, medical should be at the top of the list. It may not be the first thing or something you won't ever use off road, but it only takes that one time for an accident to occur and there's some significant bleeding or fatal injury, chances are that help is 5 mins away if off road is mute. Invest in quality materials for a medkit, USA made ia recommended, avoid the Chinese stuff as moat of it fails when it's needed most. The kit also has to be adapted to your vehicle. Does your vehicle have a winch? The time of year or season also makes a difference, a blanket or some type of gear can make the job smoother or bearable such as mosquito spray or poncho while other gear can be life saving such as winter gear for cold climates/seasons such as gloves/hat or blankets.

To help give you an idea, here's what I did.
For my deuce, I have a 3 piece kit due to the amount of room I have. A tool box for recovery gear such as shackles, snatchblocks, rope dampers, straps, flares, glow sticks, E-tool, hatchet, and folding saw. The ammo can has water/food, medical gear, and flash light, lantern, and extra batteries. The 70L pack is filled up with straight up survival gear to allow me to get through a few days should I not be able to recover or have to stay with the truck until help arrives or leave the truck on foot. For most of us, our main tool for help is our phone, so make sure to have a way to keep it charged such as a battery bank or solar charger should be something considered.

My pickup has two tool boxes on the sides of the bed, so I use one that has a small pack that is a survival kit, but also have a snatch blocks, tow strap, three shackles, bottled water, couple MRE's, hatchet, flashlight, E-tool, and IFAK. Usually in the winter months, I lay a wool blanket down on the back seats so it's there but out of the way.

Also carry extra fuel which should be a no brainier, but many seem to fail to do so, especially city folks who end up getting stranded in a winter storm on the express way and end up freezing to death once their vehicle runs out of fuel.

Things will also differ depending where you live, but believe it or not, there are some locations that are remote enough, help can be out of reach due to the lack of reception and in some cases, help can be a day away. This can be extremely dangerous in desert or winter environments, so plan accordingly, have a plan, and make sure someone knows where you're going and when you plan to return.

Last edited:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I think it all just depends on how much you really want to plan for and what size of kit you want to build. First things first, medical should be at the top of the list. It may not be the first thing or something you won't ever use off road, but it only takes that one time for an accident to occur and there's some significant bleeding or fatal injury, chances are that help is 5 mins away if off road is mute. Invest in quality materials for a medkit, USA made ia recommended, avoid the Chinese stuff as moat of it fails when it's needed most. The kit also has to be adapted to your vehicle. Does your vehicle have a winch? The time of year or season also makes a difference, a blanket or some type of gear can make the job smoother or bearable such as mosquito spray or poncho while other gear can be life saving such as winter gear for cold climates/seasons such as gloves/hat or blankets.

To help give you an idea, here's what I did.
For my deuce, I have a 3 piece kit due to the amount of room I have. A tool box for recovery gear such as shackles, snatchblocks, rope dampers, straps, flares, glow sticks, E-tool, hatchet, and folding saw. The ammo can has water/food, medical gear, and flash light, lantern, and extra batteries. The 70L pack is filled up with straight up survival gear to allow me to get through a few days should I not be able to recover or have to stay with the truck until help arrives or leave the truck on foot. For most of us, our main tool for help is our phone, so make sure to have a way to keep it charged such as a battery bank or solar charger should be something considered.

My pickup has two tool boxes on the sides of the bed, so I use one that has a small pack that is a survival kit, but also have a snatch blocks, tow strap, three shackles, bottled water, couple MRE's, hatchet, flashlight, E-tool, and IFAK. Usually in the winter months, I lay a wool blanket down on the back seats so it's there but out of the way.

Also carry extra fuel which should be a no brainier, but many seem to fail to do so, especially city folks who end up getting stranded in a winter storm on the express way and end up freezing to death once their vehicle runs out of fuel.

Things will also differ depending where you live, but believe it or not, there are some locations that are remote enough, help can be out of reach due to the lack of reception and in some cases, help can be a day away. This can be extremely dangerous in desert or winter environments, so plan accordingly, have a plan, and make sure someone knows where you're going and when you plan to return.
Lots of good stuff there @ToddJK !

MedKit and survival supplies just come as part of the truck for some of us. Others not so much. Glad you remembered to mention it...

ToddJK

Lots of good stuff there @ToddJK !

MedKit and survival supplies just come as part of the truck for some of us. Others not so much. Glad you remembered to mention it...

I got laughed at by my brother and sister in-law when they asked me about my kit and why I have so much stuff. They didn't think I'd ever need any of it. Road side assistance is always available they said. I was sure to throw it in their face when that crazy winter storm hit Texas last year and many died from the storm. They kinda saw the point, but still somewhat in denial. Same reason some of us choose to have a firearm for protection, seconds matter when police are minutes away and just because it hasn't happened to you or anyone you know doesn't mean it won't ever happen. They couldn't argue that, lol. Later my brother bought an AR from me and then got a vehicle emergency kit, lmao. They moved down to Florida and when I asked them if they prepared in case a hurricane, sister in-law said they weren't worried since it's been a long time since Florida was hit hard...few months later Florida was hit hard and Desantis declared that state of emergency. They found out real quick was Murphy's law is truly about! 🤣

nyoffroad

How far do you want to go? Some carry nothing and some probably have a parts store in the bed!
I carry a gal of oil and one of 50% antifreeze and a gal of ATF some 3/8 fuel hose and clamps of various sizes.
I also have some bailing wire, bungee cords and at least one ratchet strap and tow chain and then some hand tools. One that I've used many times is a piece of pipe about 24" long and 2" in diameter big enough to slide over an end wrench for extra oomph. Oh yeah I also have a stock jack and a bottle jack and a piece of 5/8" plywood 12"x12
Like above a simple 1st aide kit some bug spray and a poncho, I don't go far off road anymore so thats about it. All that in a cross the bed tool box, I'm sure there's a lot more hiding in the bottom!

cucvmule

collector of stuff
Simply amazing what you can put in ammo cans also. On the CUCV 30 or 50 cal ammunition boxes fit behind seat. Fill one with survival food and another with simple tools. The med kit is number one no matter what you are doing it is there.

And the fire extinguisher bracket was there for a reason also. Under seat there is room for binders, rope, wire, 4 way tool, entrenching tool, many uses for minimal hassle. A simple clamp on battery air compressor even has a purpose. Light weight items that are small and useful in case you have to use your feet, backpack, empty or full water container.

Simple items that can be stowed with little room and are there when needed.

Getting more serious a friend even cut the foam out of area's of the back of the seat. Again no hassle light weight items that stay in place no matter if its going to the fuel stop or a long trek.

ToddJK

Simply amazing what you can put in ammo cans also. On the CUCV 30 or 50 cal ammunition boxes fit behind seat. Fill one with survival food and another with simple tools. The med kit is number one no matter what you are doing it is there.

And the fire extinguisher bracket was there for a reason also. Under seat there is room for binders, rope, wire, 4 way tool, entrenching tool, many uses for minimal hassle. A simple clamp on battery air compressor even has a purpose. Light weight items that are small and useful in case you have to use your feet, backpack, empty or full water container.

Simple items that can be stowed with little room and are there when needed.

Getting more serious a friend even cut the foam out of area's of the back of the seat. Again no hassle light weight items that stay in place no matter if its going to the fuel stop or a long trek.
What's really nice about ammo cans (steel not plastic) when storing food, it keeps the critters out!

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I rarely go outside of a 50 mile radius with mine.
If I break down, help is a phone call away. CB radio will get installed someday.
Only off road stuff is typical ranch work.

I just carry tire change stuff, chain, hay bale wire and tow strap, bungee cords and first aid kit and my trusty Pow Pow.
Plus the normal fluids I keep in a milk crate secured in the bed.

If I ever did long 100-200 mile drives, then I would pack spare parts.

100+ miles in a CUCV is a long drive. Loud, uncomfortable and slow.