• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What I've done so far to my M1009

sierrajcharlie

Here's some pics of my M1009. So far we've replaced the fuel filter with a screw on one from NAPA. Thanks for the posts, I got the numbers from there. I've replaced the windshield washer with one from my sons Blazer, don't tell him. I just crimped on a couple of spade connectors and stuck them into the washer connector. So it works just like the original one. I'll fix it up better later, for now if works. But at least this one shuts off when it's supposed to. I got the ammo box from a buddy. It works well as a console. I had a block heater put in cause it get cold here in NE Iowa. I asked Gator how did it go when he put it in. He said, Oh.......alright. In Gator talk that means it was a SOB. I want to get new pins put in the doors this summer. It also needs some new seals on the rear window. Water is able to just run down inside the gate right now.

I've got the same issue as others with the Gen 1 light. Like others it comes on dim when I've got the heater on high and the lights on. If I run the speed up and down on the heater, the gen light will dim when on full speed. I've cleaned the heater fuse up and tried tightening the Gen1 belt but still have the same issue. It doesn't make any difference if the lights are on dim or bright. I had a couple of batteries here charged up so I swapped them out. Didn't make any difference. Any other ideas?

Overall, it hasn't had alot of issues since I got it on the road in October. Just thought I'd share and thank everyone on the site. I've been watching the posts and been able to fix a few things from them and reading the manuals.

IMG_6432 - Copy.jpg

IMG_6429.jpg

IMG_6430.jpg

IMG_6435.jpg

IMG_6434.jpg

Attachments

dhedden

Just curious. Any advantage to the spin on fuel filter other than maybe pre-filling with fuel?
I've thought the square one was a breeze but I also run an electric lift pump feeding the manual one.
Drop the old filter, slap a new one on, hit the electric lift pump and air bleed. I can do the whole thing in a minute or two.

sierrajcharlie

When I got it all at once it wouldn't start. The gauge said over full. Put a couple of gallons of fuel in it and it finally fired. I thought I had a gauge issue. Finally got it licensed and went to the station. Only got 4 gallons in it. I found the bottom of the filter was wet with fuel. It was the original filter so put on a new square one but had the same issue. Did some searching here and found others with the same issue and the NAPA part numbers for a swap. Yes you have to fill the filter the first time but hopefully you don't have to change the filter often. So for $75 and no more leak I think it's worth it.

Hadn't thought about how it looked.:!: My daughter calls it the Green Turd, I'll have to correct her now! I might put some camo on it this summer. Want to donate some paint? :smile:
It's my daily driver so right now I just want to be able to get home at the end of the day. If I can't get to work in the morning, oh well!:driver:

dhedden

Gotcha. Yeah, they all need to be primed. With the spin on it's easier than the box type. So far I haven't had any leaks so I'll leave it be. Gotta love these old rigs. They had their issues when they were still pretty new. Ha ha. My first tour of Korea was in 91 and they were pretty worn by then. Always liked the Blazers though. I picked mine up in may 08 and I drive it more than my 02' Dodge it seems when I'm home.:driver:

67_C-30

Gotcha. Yeah, they all need to be primed. With the spin on it's easier than the box type. So far I haven't had any leaks so I'll leave it be. Gotta love these old rigs. They had their issues when they were still pretty new. Ha ha. My first tour of Korea was in 91 and they were pretty worn by then. Always liked the Blazers though. I picked mine up in may 08 and I drive it more than my 02' Dodge it seems when I'm home.:driver:
The Stanadyne Model 80 box filter works well when they are not leaking, but unfortunately a lot of them end up leaking over time. I usually change them out to spin ons myself, but the one on my M1009 doesn't leak a drop, so I haven't touched it. Ironically the highest milieage 6.2 truck I ever had (339K) had the original Model 80 filter on it when I sold it. However, I've had 50K mile trucks that leaked horribly, so there's no real pattern to it. If your's is not leaking, I'd drive until it gives you trouble.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks