• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What jack stands do you use….. looking cheap….

ramdough

I am needing to pull my front right bring perch nuts off to swap my lower cab tilt piston mount.

I have several 6 ton jack stands, but that feels like they need more safety factor for holding the front end. (And they are too short to reach the frame).

Anyone have a recommendation for taller and maybe stronger stands?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use military 7 ton jack stands that are made for big trucks. I don't have them handy to tell you the brand. I feel that a 6 ton jack stand is sufficient, especially if you are only removing one wheel. If you want additional safety, leave the jack underneath the axle, too (or use both 6 ton jack stands). With all this said, if you are buying some, the higher the rating, the better!

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I am needing to pull my front right bring perch nuts off to swap my lower cab tilt piston mount.

I have several 6 ton jack stands, but that feels like they need more safety factor for holding the front end. (And they are too short to reach the frame).

Anyone have a recommendation for taller and maybe stronger stands?

Remember, you under the truck smashed like a bug is a really bad day.

7 ton stands under the front axles get you the height that you need.
You could also spend the time and effort to block the truck up with wood.

ramdough

Remember, you under the truck smashed like a bug is a really bad day.

7 ton stands under the front axles get you the height that you need.
You could also spend the time and effort to block the truck up with wood.
So, I plan to leave the tire on the ground….. but I do need to support the frame since I am loosening the front spring perch, removing the nuts, then swapping the cab flip piston mount.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
So, I plan to leave the tire on the ground….. but I do need to support the frame since I am loosening the front spring perch, removing the nuts, then swapping the cab flip piston mount.

Go get a 6x6x10 each block is 6 blocks cut at 18in each.

Or get a railroad tie and cut it up.

Cribbing is always more useful than a jack stand

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Like simp said you cant go wrong with 6x6 or 8x8 blocks if you remember i put my whole truck in the air when i swapped the back 4 tires they lived there for 2 days with the wind blowing on the box ! Cant you use a few big c clamps to hold it in place during the swap ?A1002B66-E733-411D-8ED2-68C818462EE0.png

kblazer87

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One other point...most jack stand ratings are for the pair. Keep that in mind.
Not all stands have always been rated in pairs. A lot of the older ones you will find for sale used, were rated as singles. All of my heavy duty stands are older (made well before 2015) , are rated per stand and are U.S. made, good quality stands.
2015 is when all were mandated to be rated in pairs.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not all stands have always been rated in pairs. A lot of the older ones you will find for sale used, were rated as singles. All of my heavy duty stands are older (made well before 2015) , are rated per stand and are U.S. made, good quality stands.
2015 is when all were mandated to be rated in pairs.
I am glad you pointed out the mandate in 2015. I had no idea about that. I will add that I have a pair of heavy duty jack stands that I bought 25 years or so ago that were rated in pairs, too. I am unsure when they started that. My big point was that a person needs to consider that they could be rated in pairs, not singly. I know I did not know this originally. I thought a jack stand could handle four tons when each were marked that way. It was misleading, at least to me.

Last edited:

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One more point...those four ton jack stands that are marked as such do not specify anywhere on them that the four tons corresponds to the rating of the pair. It was on the paperwork I received when I originally bought them. Making it even worse is that I only have one at this time. The other got pancaked by an M543A2! It started to rain, so I pushed the jack stand under the truck and forgot it was there when I drove away! Doh!

kblazer87

Steel Soldiers Supporter
True. Note that I said "most jack stands," not "all." I see you said that they mandated this in 2015. I have no reason to doubt you. However, I know jack stands I bought over 20 years ago were rated in pairs, too.
Agreed. I have 2 smaller pairs I use for cars, mowers and such that are close to 30 years and also are rated by the pair (walmart) I think it was at manufacturers discretion prior to the asme standard.
Just buy a crane or two
I'm working on it. Not many that fit in a tight ass's budget though.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Agreed. I have 2 smaller pairs I use for cars, mowers and such that are close to 30 years and also are rated by the pair (walmart) I think it was at manufacturers discretion prior to the asme standard.
I'm working on it. Not many that fit in a tight ass's budget though.
You wouldn't think but a 7.5 to 30ton unit can be found under 6k.

Third From Texas

No way to put the genie back in the bottle now, just assume all stands are rated in pairs, unless you can prove otherwise. Another reason to use good cribbing…
It is a fact. The ASME rates stands "per pair" (or at least have in recent memory).

"Jack Stands made after 2015 are always rated as a pair. Meaning 6-ton jack stands are individually rated to hold a maximum of 3-tons. They are also only rated when used as a pair together."

Oddly, some companies make this hard to discern in their instructions/manuals/safety info. This is what's in the Harbor Freight Jackstand safety section

"Maximum load capacity per identical pair shall not exceed the rated capacity of the individual stand."

That sorta says the same thing, just a bit backwards. But the pair still share the same load rating (ie: it's not doubled by using two).

Further looking around, I found how the ASME rates them (which is a wee bit conflicting to what they state above):

"to meet the standards set up by ASME each jack stand must be tested to 150% of the rated capacity of the pair to pass. Therefore, a 6-ton rated jack stand pair each individual jack stand would be tested at 9-tons. As long as the jack stand doesn’t fail at 9-tons on a single jack, then the pair passes as a 6-ton jack stand with ASME certification. "

Now I wouldn't bet my life on that, so I'd stick with keeping then within operational spec.

I have the 12t Horror Freight stands. Heavy mofos and I trust them (as jackstands) when set up properly. But I always inspect the welds and pins, etc before deploying them. Interestingly (and not shocking) some old stands that HF (and others) sold have been recalled over the years. So older isn't ALWAYS better/safer. But I trust their more recent models.

Here's quick little page I found on the web that kinda confirms most of what's been said here....

* @ramdough : note that they recommend avoiding "cheap" ;)

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks