• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What Jerry Can will Fit Old Brackets

Sergeant1983

What 5 gallon jerry can will fit the old style brackets and where can I buy some? I cannot bring myself to pay $100 a piece as I need 5 for my M116a2 generator trailer. I bought some new NATO cans that will not fit. They have a squarish bottom and seam.

Will the newer plastic military ones fit? I found them for $50 each?

rustystud

Looks like you bought the Chinese "Repops" fuel cans. They will not fit the military holders. The original NATO cans have a hard time fitting in them. The only carriers that will hold them are the ones you have a picture of and the "Smitty Built" ones. You can get them (Smitty Built) for $39.00 on "Amazon.com". Personally I don't like the quality of the Chinese repops. I bought some and then sent them back. There are plenty of places that still sell the quality NATO cans. The seams on the original NATO cans is recessed to fit flush with the rest of the can.

Sergeant1983

Will check out the local Northern Tool.
I did find an old style online for $45 with shipping. Inside looked clean but exterior needs cleaning and painting.
I have 4 old style brackets, but one is 1/2" wider than the other 3.
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Sergeant1983

RustyStud. I wish I had noticed that odd seam before buying them. Will pass them to a friend that does small engine repair. I'm sure he could use some extra gas cans.

rustystud

RustyStud. I wish I had noticed that odd seam before buying them. Will pass them to a friend that does small engine repair. I'm sure he could use some extra gas cans.
It's best to stay with the original NATO cans. As far as the carriers being wider, it is probably just bent outward. Give it a good push and it will straighten out just fine.

Chainbreaker

I mounted some NOS Jerry Can holders (look identical to yours) on my M116a2 generator trailer and used the European manufactured Nato "Wavian" 20L cans that fit the holders nicely. The Wavian cans are very well built with the good rust resistant interior red coating; interior coating is a water & petrol-resistant alkyd-ammonia based paint:

https://www.topspecus.com/shop/genu...20l-5-gal-nato-jerry-gas-can-2238-all-colors/

WP_20150426_004.jpg[WP_20150426_005.jpg

Last edited:

Chainbreaker

Will the newer plastic military ones fit? I found them for $50 each?
Yes, the Scepter Mil Spec ones (http://mil.sceptermilitary.com/fuel_containers) fit like a glove in the mil spec Jerry can holders. Of the two styles I have, the Nato Wavian and the Scepter I would go with the Scepter if they are cheaper for you. I really like the feel of the Scepter in hand. The plastic they use is very rugged and certainly there will never be any rust issues. Another consideration is how you plan to use them. Are you going to pour from them or will you use an Auxilliary fuel can/drum adapter? I have the Nato Swiss Army flexible copper pour spouts for the Wavians, and both the mil spec pour spout and Aux adapter for the Scepters so I can either fuel up the generator day tank directly or let the aux fuel pump do the transfers automatically on my MEP-002a gen sets.

Note: These Scepters have both an inside (finer) & outside (coarser) thread where the cap mounts. There is also a threaded style pour adaptor that screws into the opening. So you can use either the lever style expanding rubber or screw in type of pour spout with these.

Anyway, since I had both styles you are looking at as well as the same holder and trailer I thought I should chime in with my experiences with both. Hope this helps with your decision.

WP_20150427_003.jpg WP_20150427_002.jpg WP_20150427_006.jpg WP_20150427_008.jpg

rustystud

Yes, the Scepter Mil Spec ones (http://mil.sceptermilitary.com/fuel_containers) fit like a glove in the mil spec Jerry can holders. Of the two styles I have, the Nato Wavian and the Scepter I would go with the Scepter if they are cheaper for you. I really like the feel of the Scepter in hand. The plastic they use is very rugged and certainly there will never be any rust issues. Another consideration is how you plan to use them. Are you going to pour from them or will you use an Auxilliary fuel can/drum adapter? I have the Nato Swiss Army flexible copper pour spouts for the Wavians, and both the mil spec pour spout and Aux adapter for the Scepters so I can either fuel up the generator day tank directly or let the aux fuel pump do the transfers automatically on my MEP-002a gen sets.

Note: These Scepters have both an inside (finer) & outside (coarser) thread where the cap mounts. There is also a threaded style pour adaptor that screws into the opening. So you can use either the lever style expanding rubber or screw in type of pour spout with these.

Anyway, since I had both styles you are looking at as well as the same holder and trailer I thought I should chime in with my experiences with both. Hope this helps with your decision.

View attachment 556677 View attachment 556678 View attachment 556691 View attachment 556696
I would love to get some "Scepter" cans for coolant, but the only price I've seen around here is over $70.00 each plus shipping.

Chainbreaker

I would love to get some "Scepter" cans for coolant, but the only price I've seen around here is over $70.00 each plus shipping.
If those are new Scepter MFC's that is a really good price. However, if you don't mind "very used" there is a guy on "the big auction site" out of Texas selling 2 for $50. Apparently he has a pile of them. But my price was even better...as the nice guy I bought my last generator from threw in 2 for free.

rustystud

If those are new Scepter MFC's that is a really good price. However, if you don't mind "very used" there is a guy on "the big auction site" out of Texas selling 2 for $50. Apparently he has a pile of them. But my price was even better...as the nice guy I bought my last generator from threw in 2 for free.
Can't beat free ! I'll have to check out this guy in Texas. The only problem is how used is "very used " ? I don't want to have my coolant leaking before I ever get a chance to use it !

Chainbreaker

Can't beat free ! I'll have to check out this guy in Texas. The only problem is how used is "very used " ? I don't want to have my coolant leaking before I ever get a chance to use it !
The 2 I received, not from him, are also "very used" but look like new on the inside and don't leak a drop. This TX guy claims his don't leak (according to his ad) and he will make good if there were a problem. You could test fill with some soapy water first (your cleaning cycle as well) for a few days setting out in sun capped to see if any leaks appear. At that price it might be worth a shot to see if you get a good pair, if not you can return them and he will replace. But I'm not endorsing his as I haven't bought any from him, just noticed his super two-fer good used price that might be suitable for your needs.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks