• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What kind of heater, It's cold outside

nhdiesel

Actually the stick-on heaters really stay in place. Mines been on my Cummins Durango for 2 years and hasn't even started to peel yet. The key is CLEAN PAN. I use a whiz-wheel on my die grinder to scuff it down to bare metal, then stick the heater on. The kits I use come with RTV to put around the edges to keep anything from getting in there. Then just ouch up the paint.

I'm pretty sold on the oil pan heaters. They allow the engine to turn over easier, get the oil flowing quicker, and generally start easier. But combining one with a coolant heater would be the ultimate protection.

I also agree with Greenjeepster that a heater isn't really necessary below southern Ohio, except for mountain areas and other cooler pockets. We've been having temps down to the 20's this fall, and the Cummins starts no problem, and I haven't started plugging it in yet. I usually don't bother until it gets down into the single digits.

Jim

bushhawg73

I know that the balmy weather in the sunshine state is not exactly the situation where a engine heater is needed. I do own some land in Missouri and hope to move there soon. It gets a little bit colder in Missouri so I was just checking out my options.

greenjeepster

IMO the only reason to use a block heater is to start a vehicle in extremely cold weather. I am not sold on the "it saves the engine because it gets the oil flowing quickly" theory. Engines are designed with an oil pan at the bottom that the oil settles into when the engine is off. If wear was really an issue they would design the engine so that the oil pump kicked on first and lubed the engine up good before you cranked it. I have run vehicles in northern climates to 300 k miles without ever having a block heater on them and I never had issues with engine failure.

Now I have had to run block heaters on diesel trucks because they absolutely would not start on cold mornings without a heater. But like I said before I had one short out and it burned the truck and the shed it was housed in right to the ground. Thank god the building was insured. Block heaters and fiberglass nose pieces on an international do not mix well.

I switch to just using a salamander heater under the engine on really cold mornings after that. In the days prior to block heaters people just took a bucket of coals from the fireplace out and slid it under the block. Winterizing your battery box will go a long way to keep cold weather from draining down the batteries.

4bogginchevys

Thanks for intel to all

Hey I see your from rathdrum, I'm up north in metaline falls washington. I never plug my m1009 in and it starts up everytime. were you just selling a muncie 4 speed on craigslist?
I'm new to diesels, CUCV's and the little things you have to do to make them work right in cold weather.
Nope, it wasn't me selling that tranny...good to know there's a fellow CUCV owner so close, maybe i'll pass you on the road sometime or see ya at a gas station. I find myself in that area sometimes.

Last edited:

4bogginchevys

today I purchased an inline coolant heater w'pump (1500 watt)
I looked at Big R and they only had these and magnetic oil pan heaters

I read the info on and in the package of both and the oil pan heater said not to get it wet...indoor use only,(are you kidding me..)

The coolant pump I bought was the best one there...about 50 bucks

I do also like the idea of warm oil but I haven't seen the right unit yet to buy!

Also, the coolant heater/pump I bought said to mount it vertically...must have gravity flow of coolant to inlet...and recommended that it be placed some how tapped into the lower radiator hose, all sounds great except it has 5/8 or 3/4 nipples...not 2" or whatever the lower hose actually is. If anyone has installed a unit like this and has success, I'd like to know how you did it
Thanks to everyone for thier 2 cents, i'm almost done:-D

Last edited:

12vctd

Block heaters are too often ignored, and just looked at to be plugged in in the winter time. I plug my trucks in more often than I dont in mild but still cool climates because I have fleet records to prove by oil samples taken that it does help with wear. This is based off a fleet of 67 trucks ranging from f550's with 7.3 PSD, 6.0 psd, and even a few 6.4 psd as well as a few western stars and other equip. But so does running synth oil, but I cannot get the owner of the fleet i am talking about to switch either. None of my cummins trucks needed any help ever starting thats why I love my trusty 4bt and 6bts, with a functional grid heater they fire right up. Heck here in Ky even my 6.0 power choke in my f550 starts on even the coldest of mornings without being plugged in. (lol last winter was without power for 2 weeks durning a ice storm couldnt plug in) I think block heaters oil pan heaters are great add on's but again it all depends on use of truck, climate ect ect. And with any electrical device it needs to be inspected regularly, as i too have seen many a good truck turn to scrap due from a block heater.

greenjeepster

besides a heater for the motor and other things.... how do you winterize a M1008 ?
Get the batteries checked, make sure they are not on the verge of a dead cell. Insulate them either with a battery type wrap or rigid insulation on the inside of the battery box if you have the room, block the radiator, drain and flush cooling system and put fresh coolant in, change to a lighter weight motor oil, drain axles and transmission and refill, and then go to town with a grease gun.