• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What lube should be in a winch.

kipman

Took off my winch of a parts deuce today and pulled the plugs, it is full of what looks like wheel bearing grease, anybody seen this before?

kipman

Why would the military put this heavy grease in and so you all know, this winch came off a katrina flood truck so maybe the thick grease was better.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
maybe had a bad seal and grease got pumped in to do away with the leak without pulling the winch to fix it right

jwaller

it's just like the steering box. the army would drain the 80/90 and put grease in it when they couldn't get the gear oil to stop leaking. it's a hack quick fix to keep it from leaking all the oil out.

sermis

Another option is "Corn Head Grease". Go to John Deere and they know what it is. Used on high speed gears on the combine head. Thicker than the 90wt but not as thick as wheel bearing grease. Will not leak as bad if the seals are not keeping the 90wt in.

kipman

Thanks all, took apart my winch today and cleaned up as much grease as possible, think I will add oil now so it can mix, any thoughts on this?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks