• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What makes an ambulance an RV?

Blythewoodjoe

Well I found some good info in the SC code of law. It deal with seat belts and it is subject to interpretation, to some degree. I think it is a little contradictory myself but it does give one some points to argue. I quote:

SECTION 56-5-6520. Mandatory use of seat belt. The driver and every occupant of a motor vehicle, when it is being operated on the public streets and highways of this State, must wear a fastened safety belt which complies with all provisions of federal law for its use. The driver is charged with the responsibility of requiring each occupant seventeen years of age or younger to wear a safety belt or be secured in a child restraint system as provided in Article 47 of this chapter.

SECTION 56-5-6530. Exceptions.
The provisions of this article do not apply to:
(1) a driver or occupant who possesses a written verification from a physician that he is unable to wear a safety belt for physical or medical reasons;
(2) medical or rescue personnel attending to injured or sick individuals in an emergency vehicle when operating in an emergency situation as well as the injured or sick individuals;
(3) school, church, or day care buses;
(4) public transportation vehicles except taxis;
(5) occupants of vehicles in parades;
(6) United States mail carriers;
(7) an occupant for which no safety belt is available because all belts are being used by other occupants;
(8 ) a driver or occupants in a vehicle not originally equipped with safety belts.

End of quote.

According to (7) if you put three children on a seat and there are only two seat belts, is it OK to not buckel up the third?

Or according to (8 ) if the back of ambulance was intended to transport people but didn't have restraining devices, do you have to buckel up? Very gray areas to me. But all this is irrelevent because I do not plan to transport kids with out seat belts. My concern at this point is this, if I install seat belts (as an added safety feature) can I be help liable for the welfare of the occupants? OR IS OLD JOE JUST FREAKIN' PARANOID???? :roll:

papercu

According to (7) if you put three children on a seat and there are only two seat belts, is it OK to not buckle up the third?
I think you will find another law that says all children under a certain age HAS to be buckle up. If there was three grownups in a seat with two seatbelts AND NO other seat with seatbelts then you would be within the rules.
But understand a LEO can still write a ticket for what he feel like is an unsafe condition and no law will protect you from a civil suit. Wayne

Blythewoodjoe

But understand a LEO can still write a ticket for what he feel like is an unsafe condition and no law will protect you from a civil suit. Wayne
The civil suit is my biggest concern. I don't plan to get in an accident, I don't plan to get anyone hurt, but then again, nobody plans for these things to happen. What ever I do, I WILL HAVE EVERYBODY SPRAPPED DOWN AND VERY SECURE. I am Mr. Parinoid, the King of overkill, etc. etc. I am wanting to get as much knowledge on the legal stuff as possible. I think I will email my insurence agent and see what he thinks. I am painfully honest with him and he's a good guy that is always painfully honest with me. You don't see many folks like that.

Joe

papercu

If it came to a lawsuit how would you prove your self installed seatbelts was adequate? Car manufacturers spent a lot of time testing and have proof that things are installed the best they could be and have a room full of lawyers and they still lose court cases. You may end up having doing what you can and hope for the best. Wayne

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks