• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What makes the MEP Generators EMP proof

Digger556

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't have direct information regarding the MEP's here, but I sure the MIL STD could be dug up on Google.

Generally, EMP testing would be done over specific frequencies and field strengths. EMPs happen in different stages (E1, E2, E3) and based on publically available reports, most consumer devices with proper EMI shielding would survive. Machines like cars or , in this case, MEP gens, would survive because the sensitive electronics are housed in a faraday cage-like box that attenuates the field strength of the pulse.

Devices likely to get smoked are things with antennas or long wires acting as antennas, which will concentrate the field strength to dangerous levels. Field strength is measured in Volts/meter, so more meters of wire equals more induced voltage.

What I can't say for sure is if that EMP rating applies with power wires hooked up or not.

And yes, the batteries will be okay.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
From older DRS documentation, they were tested against both "MIL-STD-461 Electromagnetic Interference (EMI) limits as well as MIL-STD-2169 High Altitude Electromagnetic Pulse (HAEMP) requirements".

This might be a slightly newer variant (C or D, compared to perhaps the original... which is not stated in their documentation, and surely kept tight to the chest for obvious reasons), but still good info: https://apps.dtic.mil/sti/pdfs/ADA619610.pdf

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks