• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What Manufacturer??? "VOLVO???"

BruceB

I'm sitting here with my "new" bobbed '71 Deuce right outside the window. Had it shipped in from Phoenix to northern Nevada, arriving Wednesday. I love it, without even rolling it off my 5-acre "spread " ( for lack of plates and insurance).

The Bill of Sale says "body style: M35A2" and make: "VOLVO"!!!!

The Arizona title says: "Make: Volvo", and "Body style: 2DSW".

I queried the seller, and he was told by the previous owner that "A lot of different companies made these trucks." No further info was available.

I bought the rig from an Ebay listing, where it was identified as an American General 35A2. Do either the VIN or contract number identify the maker?

It seems to me that the VIN would be the most-authoritative information available; perhaps I should just have the DMV "correct the error"?

Incidentally, the trucker who delivered the Deuce said he could have sold it four times on the way north, including one gent who whipped out his checkbook and said "How much?" Makes me think I might have lucked into a good one!

In total ignorance, I bought a truck that has:

-Michelin 1400-20s in great condition;

-manifold flame heater;

-the key-pad light switch;

-winch

-spring-ride seat;

and I don't know what-all else that I have yet to discover. These bobbed rigs have GOT to be the biggest danged "4x4 pickups" in creation....

This is going to be fun.

If anyone can shed some light on this "Volvo" business. I'd be very grateful.

FASTNOVA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe someone at the DMV got lazy and did not want to bother looking it up in the book and just put down the last thing on the list.
Pictures please.

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My experience is that 1971 trucks are typically General Products Jeep Division. I don't know if this is 100% accurate, but it fits with what I've seen.

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just got some wheel bearing nuts that were made by Checker Cab Company in '53. Hmmm, what would a deuce with a yellow paint job and a checker board stripe down the side look like?? Might be good for NYC traffic.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't know who make your truck but I know for sure it wasn't Volvo or American General.

If you post or PM me your VIN I might could tell. If the first two VIN numbers are "06" or greater it's for sure a AM General. "05" trucks can either be Kaiser-Jeep, General Products Division, or AM General depending on the other numbers in the VIN. "01", "02","03", and "04" trucks are all Kaiser-Jeeps I think but I'm not 100% sure on the lower lot numbers.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My experience is that 1971 trucks are typically General Products Jeep Division. I don't know if this is 100% accurate, but it fits with what I've seen.
Most of them are but I'm pretty sure I've seen some '71 kaiser-Jeeps.

BruceB

I'm sorry... should have thought to include some VIN numbers.

It starts with "04H9767105xxxxxxx".

Does that clarify anything?

I believe the pics are still up on Ebay. Go there and search for: 330579360428

The truck looks BETTER in the flesh than it does in the photos (to my very-prejudiced eye).

Many thanks for the replies, and some of you fellers are very quick on the draw I must say!

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter

The truck looks BETTER in the flesh than it does in the photos (to my very-prejudiced eye).

Many thanks for the replies, and some of you fellers are very quick on the draw I must say!
04H97671 is the truck's registration number. The last two digits (71) indicate the model year. The Vin, or serial numner begins with 05. I'd say General Products or AM General. Certainly not Volvo. 2DSW? Two door station wagon?.
You should try to have the title corrected.

Bighurt

I don't know who make your truck but I know for sure it wasn't Volvo or American General.

If you post or PM me your VIN I might could tell. If the first two VIN numbers are "06" or greater it's for sure a AM General. "05" trucks can either be Kaiser-Jeep, General Products Division, or AM General depending on the other numbers in the VIN. "01", "02","03", and "04" trucks are all Kaiser-Jeeps I think but I'm not 100% sure on the lower lot numbers.
Did anyone find that post confusing?

Most of them are but I'm pretty sure I've seen some '71 kaiser-Jeeps.
How about the addition of this post?

It's definitely not a AM General without a VIN how could you make that claim. I agree it's not a Volvo.

Chief_919

Magic hat time.

Organization: 1084, 1084 TH TC CO DET 1
Nomenclature: TRUCK CARGO 2-1/2T
Model: M35A2 W/W
NSN: 2320000771617
Serial Number: 53912072
Registration Number: 4H97671
Year of Mfg: 1971

That SN yours?

BruceB

Yep, the data plate is there as stated.
"
It says: "MFD BY: DAAP06701000-01 I believe this is the "contract number"?

The upper line on the plate has the VIN, 04H9767105391xxxx.

Again, thanks for the input.

B

BruceB

1. We live just outside Winnemucca.

2. My so-called "computer skills" don't extend to posting pictures. However, there are excellent pics still posted on eBay | Electronics, Cars, Clothing, Collectibles and More Online Shopping and you can see them by searching there for 330579360428. Just click on the first photo you see, and they will all be greatly enlarged.

Just discovered I have a J-pipe rot problem that needs attention.

B

hwcurtice

Nice little truck.

Could always ask the guy to send the picture to you?

Or right click and send them to yourself in an email...

Then it would be real easy. Of course, then you'd need your 10 year old to post them, right? :)

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Studebaker, Kaiser-Jeep, AM General, General Products Division of Jeep Corp - all were made in the same factory! Pics of the place have been posted several times here on the site.