• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What Model 1977 Dodge CUCV do I actually have?

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
It looks like a 886 ambulance, it may have gone down the Dodge line to be a 887 Truck, Contract Maintenance, but ended up having the rear cab wall cut and made into an ambulance. The 885 is a comm shelter

hauler and would have an extra set of leaf springs on the rear. The really weird thing is the NSN/FSN on the data plate an to me looks like 2320 01 075 2556 doesn't match anything?? Any pictures of inside the back and the rear doors?

http://olive-drab.com/od_mvg_cucv_dodge.php

penokeevet

Thanks- a few more pictures attached. This vehicle went from the Military to the US Forest Service to a small town in northern MN then to me via GSA . (Having a problem adding pics, so will try sending via new thread)

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
What does the data plate in this last set of pictures state what the truck is? Like Bob said the one in the first set is a replacement, the one in the 2nd set is the one it left the factory with, or should have.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The USMC ordered these as contact maintenance trucks. This is one of them. The brass data plate is a Navy thing.

penokeevet

Thanks for all the comments. Bob - I'm in Ironwood, western end of the U.P., approx. another 150 miles west of Iron Mountain. The possible USMC connection is interesting, plan to do a little more research on that angle.:smile:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
NDT - Appreciate your comment. Any idea why they put the Ambulance Box on rather then the standard Contact Maintenance Body?
My guess is that USMC wanted a lockable vehicle that you could work inside of. The reason I know about this vehicle is that I have a buddy that was in the Marines in the 1980s and he was the armorer, and was assigned this vehicle. They would transport and repair small arms with it. His comment was just about every time they took it somewhere, it came back behind the wrecker!

Psychowolff

Its a junk truck, Marines never take care of their stuff... ;-)

J/K, I checked out that truck when it was up for sale but I had other places that needed my money a bit more urgently. There is a lot of info on here about almost anything you could do with the trucks. Good Luck!

Mike

cucvrus

Its a junk truck, Marines never take care of their stuff
Hey I take offense to that. We Marines have to take care of everything. Yes maybe a few vehicles get destroyed but we can always replace them.

Last edited:

Psychowolff

I'm a Marine also, Yes, the motor pool did proper maint and on time. But I also have First hand experience driving, and watching others drive them, one friend rolled a Hummer 3 different times; the first time was on purpose and the other two were while he was playing around the desert in Yuma.

cucvrus

And it was the same HMMWV that got rolled 3 times? Rolling one of them is a task. Unless you climb hills sideways then maybe. I believe you. But if he rolled it 3 times and it keep going that is different. My son saw a HMMWV running when it was upside down. It was wide open and smoking like a smoke grenade.

Psychowolff

No, the first one was at Pendleton during 'drivers training' and they said the Hummer is too stable to roll, so he did his best! LOL

The other 2 times, one was a dry creek bank crumbling under him and then he was going to fast in a turn and hit a variation in the sand/ a runoff gully, or clump of grass even. the last 2 could be the same hummer though as it was during the same 'field trip'

I wish they would sell the Military ones for civilian use when the military is done with them, the civilian ones are just the body style, Nothing like the H1.

penokeevet

psycho - there's thousands of HUMVEES sitting on Bases here in the U.S. and overseas. They are selling them in large lots, as scrap, removing the wheels/tires and chopping them into small pieces - what a waste. This is a little off-topic from my original post/question, but something that should be made public. Law Enforcement Agencies are getting them, but the current Administration evidently doesn't trust you with a vehicle that has been beefed up to withstand attack. Oh yeah - My Dodge vehicle may be "junk" as you state, but it is my junk :))

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks