• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What model 5 ton is this? Oshkosh?

DSD277

The Steyr and the '90's era FMTV have a grille with large cutouts in them. I like this 'racy' grille :).

I won't comment on the bad rep of the FMTV until I have a lot more info...
What I do know are Forward Control vehicles require a completely different mindset and techique to driving them. The steering wheels are under the driver and require the driver to be physically into an intersection BEFORE turning ... sounds easy? .... not if you have always driven a conventional vehicle. My 1st car 40 years ago was a VW bus and as daily driver became normal...I had to adjust to driving a pickup with the front axle forward of me. I've had many Pinzgauers, Haflinger and a 1300 Unimog (not a true FC), and they were never a problem because of my early driving experience. With the short driving time I've had the MTV, I realize it will be a lot different because of its sheer size (width and length), and it is 2' shorter than my motorhome.:shock:

A design flaw I learn right away was that the power distribution box has 12v and 24v circuits and easy to put a wrong voltage relay in the wrong spot:doh:.( Why would you ever have 2 different voltage relays be able to fit the same socket?... a problem to happen) Saw that before I got the truck... and I doublecheck each relay and socket before installing. And just to confuse you, the main 24v circuit is triggered by a 12v relay:lol:

dmetalmiki

You see there is someone somewhere (Everywhere) designing "stuff" to be UN-USER freindly and as complictaed as poss!
that truck looks like a (nato) Bedford. I prefer the old (er) stuff personally.

MO MV man

I'm assuming there aren't many (if any?) of these in private hands?

I didn't want to go climbing all over the one in my pictures to try and decipher whether it "looked" privately owned......I don't think the truck driver hauling it would have appreciate it. LOL! :razz:

My daughter and I did climb all over a NEW one at a local car show a year ago.
The National Guard were there with it.

DSD277

A Bedford ? We need a smiley with the shivers ;-)

SS made them under licence from Steyr. I had been looking for a Steyr 12M18, as used by many Euro militarys... the prices in Europe has been well over $20k for a US importable one, plus shipping, etc...
A must simplier design... manual tran/2 spd tcase, disc brakes... other than a FC, built to the"old school" standards

then, this M1094 came up and my imagination went wild:)
My thread in the FMTV will give a bit of insight to what I was thinking... now , I am trying to retain as much as possible and still build it up as a rendering of a War Pig... I think they're soooo cool 8)

DSD277

MO MV Man,
I have thought to start a thread on the FMTVs privately owned. I don't know of many, and they are usually through this site. Except for my MTV M1094 LVAD, all the rest have been LMTVs. Definately a small group

K9Vic

Here's some more pics at the factory in Oshkosh, WI at the EAA Airshow. More trucks than you could count in a day. They were parked everywhere.
Speaking of the EAA, currently Google Maps has the EAA Fly In satellite images when you look in that area from 2011. Pretty cool to see all that from the satellite view along with all the trucks that probably came back from service overseas.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was scanning trough some pictures and saw this one I took a few months ago near Fort Hood.
Those have the good door handles on it. The current ones in most of our motorpool have a lift up handle... LOTS of issues with that.

Honestly, most of the problems I saw with LMTVs were door issues. I know more trucks that couldn't open one side or the other for any variety of reasons. Saw a few motorpool modified latches due to alignment issues.

rronning84

Our motorpool has a few of these trucks from when they were first released to the present Oshkosh trucks. I do not particularly like them but as stated before, this is my opinion. In my case I do not like them from a maintenance stand point. They really are maintenance hounds. You have to keep such a close eye on the electrical and air systems. Also as stated before the doors can be a nightmare. Honestly all model years of this truck seem to have door issues. I have not had one of the newer wreckers so I can not speak on its behalf but when these trucks first came out the wreckers were incredibly under powered and not very user friendly at all.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I forgot about the MTV Wreckers, I hate those. I always got complaints on them. Much prefer the HEMMT wreckers.

flighht2k5

Banned
They look cool as heck... but every soldier I've talked to, have said they don't like them... they aren't as tough as the 939 series, and require more maintenance...

Of course you know what opinions are like... as you know...
That's not true. Im in a maintenance unit and all of out mechanics like the lmtv

flighht2k5

Banned
I'd be willing to bet the reason there is more accidents is because they are far faster than the old trucks. I know the lmtvs also out weigh the old m35s.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks