• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What model is this tractor?

superburban

I was driving through a small town in central Utah a few weeks ago and saw this on the side of the road. I was in a hurry, so I just did a quick "drive around". Then when I was surfing the classifieds, I came across this listing: http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=3990664&cat=&lpid=13. It appeared to be in great shape, from a glance.

$18K seems like a really high price for this, but I must admit that I am ignorant of anything bigger than a deuce.

Attachments

superburban

PS: I actually know the guy that is selling this from about 15 years ago, but I didn't know he was into MVs! I haven't seen him for about 10 years, so I dont even know if he remembers me.

98hd

superburban said:
I was driving through a small town in central Utah a few weeks ago and saw this on the side of the road. I was in a hurry, so I just did a quick "drive around". Then when I was surfing the classifieds, I came across this listing: http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=3990664&cat=&lpid=13. It appeared to be in great shape, from a glance.

$18K seems like a really high price for this, but I must admit that I am ignorant of anything bigger than a deuce.

XM818, and that seems really high, but somewhat on par with what a dealer would want for a rebuilt truck.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M818 tractor. Very nice shape, but unless it has a gold-plated multifuel engine, that can run on bean farts and foul language, I doubt it's worth $18K.

superburban

OK, I just called him up. He vaguely remembered me, but he knows my mother. He tells me that this truck has a Cummins 250 in it. He picked it up from Boyce Equipment about a year ago. It's a 1970 Kaiser. He doesn't know the M-number, but said he would call me back after looking at the data plate. It has had a 12v system added, so you can pull civi trailers or military. It's got a fiberglass top.

It's an M818 w/w. $18k is typical dealer price for a 5 ton Cummins pwr'd tractor.

I have 4 depot rebuild M818 tractors for sale. All rebuilt in 2006/2007 with less than 50 hours and 800 miles each one. $10,000 a piece. These aren't your typical dealer "aerosol overhaul" trucks as these have LOTS of new parts. New Fuel Tanks, All New Electrical throughout, New Brake System, New Gauges, New Top, New Seats, New Tires, New Windshields,New Recored Radiator, New Wiper Motors, etc, etc, etc. Here is one we installed 1600's on for a local truck show. Shoot me a PM if interested. Two trucks located in Southern, MN and two located in Central Ohio. Titles in hand.

Andy

Attachments

area52

If he got it from Boyce that explains why he is asking $18k for it. I have run into alot of people that have bought trucks from Boyce and tried to resell them at very high prices.

I am not knocking Boyce but it just seems that alot of people who buy from them think they are gonna get their money back on the resale.

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
Air cleaner on the drivers finder VS. Passenger side old style is the big one you cant miss. I paid 3K for a running driving M818 WO/W that looked just about that nice.

Maybe the winch is worth 15K.

98hd

westfolk said:
Can someone tell me how....without a pic of the dataplate....you can say it is an XM818, or an M818?

Nice looking unit Andy.
It's really easy...........you just assume it is whatever you want :lol:

I didn't really think about it when I replied. Mine is an XM so that is what I think of. Does anyone really know if there is a difference?

Are there even M818's? Everyone I have seen has been an XM (I'm honestly curious to know this question).

98hd

bulldog_mack13 said:
Air cleaner on the drivers finder VS. Passenger side old style is the big one you cant miss. I paid 3K for a running driving M818 WO/W that looked just about that nice.

Maybe the winch is worth 15K.
Actually that would be the difference between an m52 multifuel, and an xm or M 818

FreightTrain

Banned
RE: Re: 818

XM is early and M is Late......X I guess was semi Experimental.Maybe early orders were testing the waters.Kinda like what I make right now at the plant.XM982 bullet parts.First year of use was last year.

FreightTrain

Banned

oh,and don't ask me the switch over date.I have no idea....but from what I have seen it was round the 71-72 mark......Same with XM813 and M813 from what I have seen on GL.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor

Vehicles purchased by the army are type classified, and this classification can and is changed through the years.

For example - in the mid 1950s a M35 was "Standard"
Once the mulifuel cargo truck M35A1 was classified as Standard, the M35 became "Substitute Standard" and so on. With the A2 things changed again.
Now a M35 is classified as obsolete.

However, in some cases the decision to go into production is made before the Ordnance Committee gives a classification of Standard. In those cases the vehicles continue to use the X prefix assigned to prestandardized test models because essentially the paper trail of the government hasn't caught up yet. Of the vehicles we usually talk about on SS the XM211 and XM818 are the most common - and they are that - common. Nothing rare or scarce about them - although the XM nameplate is a conversation piece. I've got a file around here somewhere that says when the M818 was standardized - from memory its 1970 or 71 - those built before then where XM818, those after M818.

Hope this helps,
David

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks