• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What model is this?

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
Once I get its maintenance done, and missing parts acquired, I will focus on rust removal and making it look better. Trust me, I want it to look a little better haha.

Side question, did they make desert tan m817 dump covers?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Once I get its maintenance done, and missing parts acquired, I will focus on rust removal and making it look better. Trust me, I want it to look a little better haha.

Side question, did they make desert tan m817 dump covers?
Yes. They are not common though. I've seen a few 929 with them.

Attachments

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
Just got a price of 700 to soda blast the truck, that seems pretty awesome to me. Not sure I am ready for that yet but that price seems very agreeable.

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
TWO spotting items jump out at me right away, things that most people overlook.

Yes the others are correct you have what is now coined as a M51A2. However, there is likely more to the story with your truck which if true, means it is NOT a Kaiser/Jeep/AM General product.

The style of lamp holder cover you have on the dash, plus the headlights in low grille position tells me your truck is likely pre-1964 and started life as a gas M51 but was converted to multifuel "A2" decades later.. I own examples of this conversion as well as untouched all-original International Harvester M51 and M52 . I would bet money your truck was re-tagged after conversion from a gas engine and is at least 2 decades older than 1983

Is there a 1" hole in the floor pan (or a covered one) right above the accelerator pedal? Also, look for IHC part numbers on your windshield frame hinges, or on the U-Joints, or any of the axle hubs.. IH part/casting numbers end with a R1, R4, R11, etc.

IHC was the main builder of all 5-tons from 1951 to 1963, but Mack and Diamond-T did make a small share of them in the 1950's as well

If yours was one of the two latter builds, it is quite rare

Last edited:

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
You may be correct, I keep seeing signs also that it is not "as built". For example, it was absolutely green before from looking under the cab, and under the hood. I see a lot of service tags (I think that is the term), the air compressor was replaced in 1983 as were several other components. Let me go check the floor pan.

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
Any more tips for determining if it is indeed a IH or Mack or Diamond-T? The paint is thick on the window frame, where about on the hinge may I see the part number?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check out this post. Search up the M51A2. If it has your VIN, and likely does, might give you a better indication of what you have.

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That hole is about 1 inch if you remove the plug that's in it. Is that what I am looking for ?
yes, the starter pedal (and return spring) were at that hole . Thus, your truck is older than 1964 and was a gasser M51 in its prior life. You might now want to look for any casting numbers on your windshield hinges, U-joints, or rear axle hubs . If they end with R-1 or R-something else, you most likely have an IHC build. I do not know if Diamond-T and Mack used any of IHC's castings on their own builds of 5-tons in the 1950's .. I can also tell you the dash gauge illumination light holders on your truck dates to 1957 or earlier. I recall that style on the 1956 and 1957 M54's my armor unit had, and that style also appears on the GMC M211's etc. My 1962 M51 has the newer more-common screw cap dash lamp, which I believe is original to my truck, being it was obtained 40-some years ago direct from the DRMO.

I just noticed your post about finding the serial number etc.. Nice! Disregard my rambling logic, You already have it nailed ! I'm on here maybe only once or twice a month and didn't read all your replies since the last time I was here. But the logic might help others not as lucky to have tags, or have illegible tags as one of yours appeared to be in your pics.

To answer the others about the casting number on hinges, they are located as raised digits on the rail directly across from the twist handle . Pic is one of the hinges I kept from a IHC M52 we scrapped/parted years ago... Pic #2 is of the backside which has the casting number for the smaller part of the hinge and an embossed "IH" logo ..

There must be someone on here who knows whether or not Diamond-T and Mack were subcontracted by IHC, or if they won their own limited-number contracts. This may help determine whether or not IHC provided the other two builders with IHC castings or not. I would be interested to know if Mack made their own castings for its 5-tons. Diamond-T was likely not in any financial or tooling position to produce its own castings in the 1950's , but I have been wrong before o_O

Attachments

Last edited:

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does the truck have the overdrive or direct drive transmission? Top speed will be a bit higher with the overdrive transmission, but I prefer the direct drive transmission for use and local driving. Check the data plate near the steering wheel that shows the maximum speeds in each gear. It may say DIRECT or OVERDRIVE next to 5th gear.

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does the truck have the overdrive or direct drive transmission? Top speed will be a bit higher with the overdrive transmission, but I prefer the direct drive transmission for use and local driving.
I concur with you the direct tranny is better for multifuel work trucks.. I have 1967 and 1969 M51A2's with the direct-5th, and a couple others with OD... However, all of the multi's (and 673's) in my units during the 70's thru 90 had an OD-5th. .. I have to wonder if some of the post-1964 multifuels came with direct-5th from the builder, or did some of them lose their OD due to a MWO or Organizational Maint directive in the late-80's thru 90's? .. This question is not about former gasser-to-A2 conversions

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks